Question Oil Consumption

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
crank & run her with the VC's off and you'll easily see if you have an oil return problem if it is not readily visible

oh and yes a breakout box is what I was thinking of but couldn't remember the name for the life of me.

JRJ04

Reaction score
crank & run her with the VC's off and you'll easily see if you have an oil return problem if it is not readily visible

correct me if im wrong...but wont that be really messy?

Last edited:

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
correct me if im wrong...but wont that be really messy?

nope only if you rev it up at idle the oil squirts from the injectors doesn't go everywhere and the oil from the rockers is not thrown.

Been there done that trying to diagnose my injector problem using the screwdriver stethoscope method

JRJ04

Reaction score
nope only if you rev it up at idle the oil squirts from the injectors doesn't go everywhere and the oil from the rockers is not thrown.

Been there done that trying to diagnose my injector problem using the screwdriver stethoscope method

ok so if i just let it idle...it will be fine, but the second i rev it...it will sling oil everywhere...i can only see the problem when i rev it lol...so that might get messy.

screwdriver stethoscope method...did you set it on top of each injector and listen?

CKyle494

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JR, I had oil consumption of 1 qt per 125 miles :doh:. I will tell you YES the injectors will let oil pass. I had the engine completely rebuilt, new rings etc. new injector cups, every time the injectors were out they got new seals. Nothing helped. only thing that I didn't replace was the injectors. Finally I got a rebuilt set (stock) from BEANS Diesel out of Woodbury TN and the consumption has gone from 1 qt every 125 miles to virtually NONE! Don't waste money, tried the new turbo thing, CCV filter, dirty air filter (AFE filter, NOT EVEN CLOSE to dirty, even bought a new one). The internals of the injector is breaking down. get injectors that have been completely, I repeat COMPLETELY REBUILT! Not just the tips and plunger but the whole thang'. Beans did a great job and answered tons of questions from me before I bought. If all else has failed then give them a call, they are VERY patient and helpful. GOOD LUCK!

Chris

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JR, I had oil consumption of 1 qt per 125 miles :doh:. I will tell you YES the injectors will let oil pass. I had the engine completely rebuilt, new rings etc. new injector cups, every time the injectors were out they got new seals. Nothing helped. only thing that I didn't replace was the injectors. Finally I got a rebuilt set (stock) from BEANS Diesel out of Woodbury TN and the consumption has gone from 1 qt every 125 miles to virtually NONE! Don't waste money, tried the new turbo thing, CCV filter, dirty air filter (AFE filter, NOT EVEN CLOSE to dirty, even bought a new one). The internals of the injector is breaking down. get injectors that have been completely, I repeat COMPLETELY REBUILT! Not just the tips and plunger but the whole thang'. Beans did a great job and answered tons of questions from me before I bought. If all else has failed then give them a call, they are VERY patient and helpful. GOOD LUCK!

Chris

:hailX2JR ;tu

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so if i just let it idle...it will be fine, but the second i rev it...it will sling oil everywhere...i can only see the problem when i rev it lol...so that might get messy.

screwdriver stethoscope method...did you set it on top of each injector and listen?

yep if the problem is there when you rev it then it is there just not as noticeable at idle.

& yes screwdriver tip on each injector and also I did them @ the base of each injector, the key is to use the exact same place on each injector because the sounds will vary based on where you put the tip of the screwdriver. I highly recommend getting a real mechanic's stethoscope though.

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score

Chris

Beans Diesel helped me also!! Great people to work with!!

JRJ04

Reaction score
Update

Well, after 8 new injectors installed from beans...is my problem still there?

YES :rant

While its not as bad, i can still notice it. Now that ive driven it for a few weeks, its had some time to get a buildup on the bumper, and ill be darned if its not oily again. When I'm going along, if i let off the go pedal, then mash it really quick it will stumble and belch out the blueish black smoke that is undoubtedly unburnt fuel (very similar to what it does when i rev it and it hiccups).

I'm running out of ideas here. what in the heck out can this be? When it dropped the injectors over a year ago, is it possible that it cracked an injector cup and its gone un-noticed this entire time? did it score a cylinder when this happened? once it hiccups...it runs well

HELLLLLLPPPPPPPPP!

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Well, after 8 new injectors installed from beans...is my problem still there?

YES :rant

While its not as bad, i can still notice it. Now that ive driven it for a few weeks, its had some time to get a buildup on the bumper, and ill be darned if its not oily again. When I'm going along, if i let off the go pedal, then mash it really quick it will stumble and belch out the blueish black smoke that is undoubtedly unburnt fuel (very similar to what it does when i rev it and it hiccups).

I'm running out of ideas here. what in the heck out can this be? When it dropped the injectors over a year ago, is it possible that it cracked an injector cup and its gone un-noticed this entire time? did it score a cylinder when this happened? once it hiccups...it runs well

HELLLLLLPPPPPPPPP!

yeah, but how much oil has it used?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rukirok