Question Oil Consumption

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
cut o ring once...sure, I'll buy it...but having a cut one again, AND not seeing any change when all o-rings were replaced...its suspect to me.

on the fuel pressure...given my symptoms...would you think it points to too much or too little fuel pressure?

The fuel pressure is fine. :D

Increased oil consumption would be from bad or damaged O rings. ;tu

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the only thing to do is pull the injectors and check the o rings. I thinking outside the box here and this is a way out in left field. What if your oil returns from the valve cover area is not returning the oil back to the pan fast enough. Then you could be flooding the injector area and have a weeping problem across all of them. I ask this because I had a IH motor that was doing the same thing. When I tor the motor down there was trash in a oil return from the head.

Last edited:

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
I think breakout box is what you are referring to?

iracemine, I had all the o-rings done when my turbo was replaced back in April. The problem was there both before and after the o-rings were replaced. It smells like fuel...but how do I know its not a mix of oil and fuel?

Joe, I'd love to pull the injectors, but I dont know of anyone who has the capability to test them...and on top of that...I don't feel comfortable pulling them...just a turkey i dont wanna tackle!

these things burn oil. im down quarts come oil change time every time. but my exhaust will never ever smell like gas/fuel. I suspect you might want to pick up a real time fuel pressure gauge to check on your fpr mod. oil burning cant cause a hiccup. :drink

JRJ04

Reaction score
these things burn oil. im down quarts come oil change time every time. but my exhaust will never ever smell like gas/fuel. I suspect you might want to pick up a real time fuel pressure gauge to check on your fpr mod. oil burning cant cause a hiccup. :drink

i went out and revved it yesterday again...there is no doubt its fuel...it smells like it, and looks like it. ive got a fuel gauge, just need to go out there and hook her up.

JRJ04

Reaction score
Sounds like the only thing to do is pull the injectors and check the o rings. I thinking outside the box here and this is a way out in left field. What if your oil returns from the valve cover area is not returning the oil back to the pan fast enough. Then you could be flooding the injector area and have a weeping problem across all of them. I ask this because I had a IH motor that was doing the same thing. When I tor the motor down there was trash in a oil return from the head.

youve got me intrigued...how would i check the oil return lines? is it something i can see from the top of the motor when i pull the valve covers off or does that require an entire motor teardown?

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
youve got me intrigued...how would i check the oil return lines? is it something i can see from the top of the motor when i pull the valve covers off or does that require an entire motor teardown?

Remove the valve covers, check for sludge. There are drain galleys in the head.

I would expect to see that on a poorly maintained engine. :eek: If the oil is changed on a normal basis, it should be clean. :D

Wont hurt to look.;tu

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score

remember that

JRJ04

Reaction score
Remove the valve covers, check for sludge. There are drain galleys in the head.

I would expect to see that on a poorly maintained engine. :eek: If the oil is changed on a normal basis, it should be clean. :D

Wont hurt to look.;tu

well that oil has been religiously changed every 5k, and i take care of that truck like its my first born child...so if thats the case...might not be an issue

but itll be worth looking at.

at this point, based on the conversation thus far...im over the oil consumption...its still within operating range, so i'm putting that one to bed. hopefully ill be able to tell if my return paths are plugged by pulling the vc's

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rukirok