Question Oil Consumption

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been covered

A dirty air filter can cause suction through the ccv. I think even the ccv hose being pinched can do the same thing:dunno.

JRJ04

Reaction score
filter is good, and has already been replaced once during this whole ordeal.

joe, im with you on the strength of some injectors over others...but does that explain the oil consumption? i've got a REALLY hard time going any just throwing injectors at it without having a real reason, or identifiable failure.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
filter is good, and has already been replaced once during this whole ordeal.

joe, im with you on the strength of some injectors over others...but does that explain the oil consumption? i've got a REALLY hard time going any just throwing injectors at it without having a real reason, or identifiable failure.

I hear ya JR. I hate throwing parts at stuff too.

Just my think'n on stuff like this, but... Some things just need to be replaced in Sets.

Murphy's (Joe's;)) Law: Replace 3 of 8 failing, but required parts ?... the other 5 are Sure to follow/fail Soon.

In your situation.. No exsternal leaks. Replaced 3 of 8 injectors. Now, a Hiccup and oil use.

Maybe any one, or more, of remainingg 5 could be going south ?

Joe

JRJ04

Reaction score
I hear ya JR. I hate throwing parts at stuff too.

Just my think'n on stuff like this, but... Some things just need to be replaced in Sets.

Murphy's (Joe's;)) Law: Replace 3 of 8 failing, but required parts ?... the other 5 are Sure to follow/fail Soon.

In your situation.. No exsternal leaks. Replaced 3 of 8 injectors. Now, a Hiccup and oil use.

Maybe any one, or more, of remainingg 5 could be going south ?

Joe

so the question is...can a bum injector cause oil consumption?

another observation i've had...at idle...the exhaust just doesnt smell right. you know how when you first start it up, and you smell unburnt fuel, but then it goes away? Thats kind of what mine smells like all the time...

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the question is...can a bum injector cause oil consumption?

* Yes, if internal tolerances are worn, O rings/seals are shot..gota remember.. It's Oil, @ high pressure, from the HPOP that "pops" the injectors.

another observation i've had...at idle...the exhaust just doesnt smell right. you know how when you first start it up, and you smell unburnt fuel, but then it goes away? Thats kind of what mine smells like all the time...

That smell is often a sign, of worn, or defective injectors. Unburnt (to much) fuel, from a bad, weak, spray pattern... a dribble, more than a spray... maybe even dripping After they "pop".

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cant the injector/cyliner tests tell you if you have an injector going out? It would seem like that would be a good confirmation that some of the injectors needed to be replaced.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not following you...can you explain more?

thanks!

based on the premise that you're getting oil out the tailpipe the manifold and up pipes & "baby's butt" that bring the exhaust up to the turbo would be oily if the oil was coming from the engine. If they are not oily then the new turbo would have some problem.

You said
I now have a discolored bumper that has a oily residue.

Everything I'm saying is based on you having good compression and things burning in the cylinders. Diesel engines will run on motor oil or any combustible liquid, if it is getting in the cylinders then it is burning, if it is going in on the intake side and not burning and you're getting it out the tailpipe then you likely have a compression problem. I'm posing potential causes for oil to enter the exhaust system after combustion where it would not ignite leaving you with the oil slick you've described.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cant the injector/cyliner tests tell you if you have an injector going out? It would seem like that would be a good confirmation that some of the injectors needed to be replaced.

Yes.. it will tell us that All, (or Part) of the injectors are working.. indicating which ones arent. But if X are working, and Y arent.. at what [level], are X performing (?), if all 8 were installed as OE... or replaced as a set. and how long will the X's last (now) ?

Hmmm

On Edit, back on topic. By whats been said here JR, you might need to look at the tolal integrity of all 8 injectors, the HPOP and the fuel pressures.

True, as BJS sez.. a Diesel will run on anything, but in your case: Oil, AND.. Diesel fuel (?).. will lower the flash point of #2 ULSC...... resulting in a "Dirty Burn"... resulting in all the Gremlins you describe.

Joe

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rukirok