Braking and fuel mileage

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the reasons that I get good fuel mileage is that as I am coming up to a stop sign, I move the shifter to neutral (6 spd), coast to the stop sign, and then shift into gear and drive off. I do not accelerate fast, nor stop hard. The longer your foot is on the throttle and more fuel you are going to use. In all out fuel economy mode, if the hill was not to steep, you would get your best fuel mileage by going into neutral and coasting down the hill idling. I do not do that, because most of the hills around here are to steep, and not safe to go down in neutral.

If you see a car or truck slamming on the brakes at a stop sign or light, he is not getting his best fuel mileage, plus he is wearing out his brakes.

Smooooooth is fuel efficient. That is why us old guys get good mpg,,, we are not in a hurry.
:D

kenholl

Its my side of the garage
Reaction score
seems to me that it would, and even if it DOESNT it still is additional
wear (over coasting)...ill stick to my theory that brake pads are CHEAPER
(easier maintain & replace) than engines and transmission

There is a balance, but I think there is some value to allowing your engine/tranny to slow your vehicles as you coast down. Admittedly, it may be different with an automatic tranny, but it is definitely true in the BIG trucks.

BIG truck drivers religiously slow their vehicle through downshifting, then braking when it is time to. When I was driving, this saved my brakes and I never experienced transmission damage caused by it, but then I was using a manual tranny. Again, automatics may be a whole nutha story, but I believe that we would have heard the stories of the failures by now...

VALKYRIES

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
NAAAAAA just sit on the JAKE and let it work.:innocent I didn't do that this morning when I went by the houses at 05:20 although even I am not that bad. Sure love that turbo whistle from that Cat engine. It sounds just like that Ford in the U-tube.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was waiting for the Jake to come out... I can't see how tranny braking is going to use more fuel. When the engine is in an overhauling condition, the injectors are off completely, not that faint little click they make when you just take your foot off the pedal..

michaeldjones

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello from Hillsborough, NC

Hello,

Enjoying my New 08 F350. Youngest son loves it too, especially clearance lights and monster truck look, calls it "Grave Digger Junior". Oldest son and wife hate it. Can't please everyone!

Now if I can get it to handle like my BMW wagon...

4x4
Short
Lariat
NAV
Stabilizer
Snow Plow suspension
etc++

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok yall have convinced me that you DONT use fuel when down
shifting or using engine braking....BUT the added rpms do potentially