Braking and fuel mileage

JRJ04

Reaction score
So we all know that being heavy on the go pedal hurts our mileage, but how do hard stops hurt our mileage as well? This is something ive never understood. Any ideas?

jsa75

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The more you brake the more you will need to accelerate. If you drive one mile without stopping it will take way less fuel than if you have to stop and accelerate 10 times. All of the energy produced by your engine and the intertia of your moving vehicle is stopped (wasted) when you stop with your brakes. Think of how many miles of coasting you could travel per fill up if you NEVER had to stop.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
brake pads are CHEAP....trannies are $$$ !
unless your downshifting you shouldnt take an
mpg hit to slow down

JRJ04

Reaction score
I kinda figured as much. it makes sense that you are wasting a bunch of energy by having to stop. the more you stop, that means the harder you have accellerated (under normal conditions of course) i wonder if anyone has every tested to see if this is true:confused:

kenholl

Its my side of the garage
Reaction score
So we all know that being heavy on the go pedal hurts our mileage, but how do hard stops hurt our mileage as well? This is something ive never understood. Any ideas?

Heavy-footed drivers obviously accelerate harder from a stop, using more fuel that way. But, they also tend to drive harder to the intersection, requiring harder braking. When approaching a stop, they are on the accelerator longer than those who coast in. This obviously burns more fuel.

I hope that makes sense!? It has been statistically proven...

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
why would downshifting hurt? I do that more than I brake. Of course, I coast to stop lights rather than the mash-the-accelerator-until-the-last-possible-second types. I had 95000 miles on my factory brake pads and have not had any transmission issues.

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So does slowing down in Tow/Haul and letting it shift down burn more fuel? It's no load RPM, so it's not fueling heavily I think.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So does slowing down in Tow/Haul and letting it shift down burn more fuel? It's no load RPM, so it's not fueling heavily I think.

seems to me that it would, and even if it DOESNT it still is additional
wear (over coasting)...ill stick to my theory that brake pads are CHEAPER
(easier maintain & replace) than engines and transmission

VALKYRIES

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
That is an easy one. If you don't burn as much fuel to get going you don't have to brake as hard or can coast to /throught the intersection or stop sign. The other day in the hiway truck with hoe on I was able to coast throught three of the four lights and the two other hiway trucks had to stop for the lights.Right on with my inexperiance I got it right.:sly Now if that 10 % hill could give me that confidence I would like that very much.!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rukirok