Question Used Diesel Shopping and Have Mileage Question??

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been mostly web shopping so far, but I have a question. I've seen a few trucks online (not in person yet), but they have high mileage 170,000 - 215,000 depending on the vehicle. Should I shy away from these trucks and not even waste my time looking at them? Are they just asking for things to break any minute (tranny, motor, etc)? What out of pocket expense could I expect soon to go wrong with these trucks?

Only good thing with them right now is the potential for a straight across trade (as money is limited) for my '01 Super Duty w/ V10 and low miles. Any help and opinions are appreciated.

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Diesel trucks run a long time, but just like any other vehicle, you do have to look at the truck completely. The tranny is always suspect on a high mile truck. Everyday things like the heater and AC, radio and all of the interior items. These trucks are built and built very well. Look at a couple of them.

Dave

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
High mileage on a diesel truck

Diesel trucks run a long time, but just like any other vehicle, you do have to look at the truck completely. The tranny is always suspect on a high mile truck. Everyday things like the heater and AC, radio and all of the interior items. These trucks are built and built very well. Look at a couple of them.

Dave

Thanks for the input Dave. Do you know roughly what it would cost to rebuild one of these diesel trannys? What about the expense of rebuilding the diesel motor (or whatever typically wears out in them)? Trying to figure out some worst case scenarios if I did have to repair a few things, whether the money spent for repairs vs. the money saved initially still makes it a good deal.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
No I don't know the price to rebuild the tranny, but many here have done this. The engines will cost something like $5,000 + to rebuild.

Dave

wpfd571

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think a 4r100 thats behind the 7.3 is a little over 2k for a reman from ford last time i checked

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think a 4r100 thats behind the 7.3 is a little over 2k for a reman from ford last time i checked

Thanks for the feedback.

I noticed that your signature says you have '07 Harley lights on your '03. Do you have any pictures of that? I'm thinking of doing it myself, and would like to see pictures.

superdub01

SDD USMC/Wyotech
Reaction score
Yep, i had my 4r100 rebuilt about 6 months ago and it cost $2300. As for your mileage question, mines a 2001 7.3 with 224,000 and counting. The only problems iv had are routine inexpensive things. The tranny was my own fault...i was showing off.

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what engine are you looking at getting?

Money wise, I'm limited to an older truck that either has the 7.3 or 6.0. I'm hearing mixed reviews on the 6.0L. I can't really afford $5000 right out of pocket for an EGR delete and new head studs, but I'm keeping an open mind. Just looking for a good deal.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Don't believe every thing you hear about the 6.0 engine. I have one and I love it. Good mileage and power (stock). I have not had any out of the ordinary problems. I just had an injector replaced at my expense, but that is it. If you want to make 600 hp with tunes and nitrous injection, then you will NEED studs. The EGR delete is up to you.

The 7.3 is a bullet proof engine with all sorts of Mods available. Makes good power and is reliable as hell.

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moose