110 volt outlet on dash

Jerry Bergstrand

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
2021 F350 with plug on dash. It only produces about 95 volts. Every other truck I have checked is putting out about 105 volts. My dealer tells me my truck is ”normal”. I think they can’t find the problem? Anyone have an opinion?

scrook

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
2021 F350 with plug on dash. It only produces about 95 volts. Every other truck I have checked is putting out about 105 volts. My dealer tells me my truck is ”normal”. I think they can’t find the problem? Anyone have an opinion?
You may need to use a True RMS reading DVM to see the correct voltage (should be ~ 120 VAC) as the inverter is likely not supplying a true sine wave but a square wave or (likely) a stepped (“modified”) square wave approximation to a sine wave. A cheaper non RMS DVM will not be accurate for non-sinusoidal waveforms.

Jerry Bergstrand

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You may need to use a True RMS reading DVM to see the correct voltage (should be ~ 120 VAC) as the inverter is likely not supplying a true sine wave but a square wave or (likely) a stepped (“modified”) square wave approximation to a sine wave. A cheaper non RMS DVM will not be accurate for non-sinusoidal waveforms.
This sounds very logical. However, I used the same volt meter to check all the different vehicles. Mine said 95v and the other vehicles said 105 volts. ??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moose