Milage

Flopster843

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of highway are you driving? My 19mpg came from going over the mountains and and driving in more traffic....so I am just wondering if I might be able to get something a little closer to yours if I am driving flatter.

Edit: Also, I saw that you have 24" wipers. Do those fit on all superdutys?

I measured the drive from Charleston SC to Louisville KY. I-26, I-40, I-75 and I-64. SC and NC are mostly flat, Half of NC and all of TN and part of KY are in the mountains with a lot of hills and curves, then the rest of KY is gently rolling hills. But I also have a 6-speed, so that accounts for more mileage.

The 24" wipers will just snap in place of the factory 20s. Next time you go to Walmart and get new wipes, just get the 24s instead. It's a direct swap and makes a big difference in the clean area of the windshield. They don't overlap any of the trim or anything.

05oneton

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I measured the drive from Charleston SC to Louisville KY. I-26, I-40, I-75 and I-64. SC and NC are mostly flat, Half of NC and all of TN and part of KY are in the mountains with a lot of hills and curves, then the rest of KY is gently rolling hills. But I also have a 6-speed, so that accounts for more mileage.

The 24" wipers will just snap in place of the factory 20s. Next time you go to Walmart and get new wipes, just get the 24s instead. It's a direct swap and makes a big difference in the clean area of the windshield. They don't overlap any of the trim or anything.

Awesome, thanks for the info on the mileage and the wipers.

canterburyfour

www.canterburyfour
Reaction score
We just got back from a 600+ mile trip and we averaged 12MPG and 98% of the driving was highway. With the 38" tires were figured on a 10% diff. into our calculations. It would be nice to get in the high teens, but with the large tires I do not think it will happen.

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
I average 15-16 MPG, on the freeway at about 75 MPH, That's with the 38.5" tires and 3.73 gears.
I used to get 21-23 with the stock tires. Of course this is all with my Tuner on the highest level, and me keeping my foot out of it.
When the truck was stock, ie. no chip/tuner/programmer, stock tires, stock EVERYTHING, I would get 16-17 on the Freeway.

canterburyfour

www.canterburyfour
Reaction score
I average 15-16 MPG, on the freeway at about 75 MPH, That's with the 38.5" tires and 3.73 gears.
I used to get 21-23 with the stock tires. Of course this is all with my Tuner on the highest level, and me keeping my foot out of it.
When the truck was stock, ie. no chip/tuner/programmer, stock tires, stock EVERYTHING, I would get 16-17 on the Freeway.

How do you calculate your mileage h the bigger tires? What are you using for a chip/tuner? I would be so happy to get 15mpg.

Flopster843

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you calculate your mileage h the bigger tires? What are you using for a chip/tuner? I would be so happy to get 15mpg.

Fill your truck to the top with fuel. Where you can actually see the fuel sitting in the fill neck. Then drive a known distance from point A to point B (mapquest is usually fairly accurate for milage) and then re-fill the tank all the way to the top just like before and see exactly how much fuel you used. You can also calculate the actual mileage vs. the mileage recorded on the odometer and figure out how bad the tires throw off the speedometer/odometer.

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
With the 38" tires, and the 3.73 gears, I came up with being about 22% off (50 miles or MPH on speedo= 61 miles or MPH according to GPS), I did all my calculations at 20% to leave a small margin for error, I have since changed my speedo, and am now only about 7% off, ( I used a beta test product to change it, and couldn't ever get it dead on)
I use a portable GPS unit as a double check for both mileage travelled and MPH, and am always Very close to what it says, after doing the conversion.:sweet

As far as a tuner I use the Banks SixGun with Speedloader and PDA, I also have thier aftercooler, and boost tubes, the HighRam intake Elbow, and Banks Monster Exhaust from the turbo back, with an exterminated kitty (i'm allergic to cats):sly
This all comes in one package known as the Banks Big Hoss Bundle.:cool:

As others will tell you, Banks is NOT the most bang for your buck:Lala
, but I personally am confident that they are the most reliable for the 6.0's:thumbs

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rukirok