Howe's anti-gel guarantee

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Going to test out the guarantee tonight. "Diesel Treat continues to be North America’s leading brand of Anti-Gel, guaranteed to keep you from gelling, or we pay your tow!" Last time I fueled up was last fall so it was #2. Truck has been sitting in the shop since. I am now going to start driving it again but the current temp is 0 and it should be -10 tonight. Going to drain out a little Howe's treated #2 into a jar and leave it out tonight. Think it will gel up? Have to take the truck to work Thursday and it will be outside for 36 hours. The Thursday/Friday night temps are suppose to be -25. Thinking about siphoning it all out and refilling with #1 but Howe's claims to keep it from gelling. Think it will gel?

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
3.5 hours after it was placed outside at 0 degrees and it is still very runny with minor separation but it has completely clouded up. We will see what it look like after 12 hours and decide if I want to leave the truck outside. I am a little nervous that when the temp drops another 20 degrees tomorrow night that the cloudy fuel may turn into jello. Howe's might just have to pay to haul it home..

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
9 hours later it is -8 and the fuel is still thin enough to flow. The top 1/3 is somewhat clear but the bottom 2/3 of the jar is very cloudy. A quick stir mixed it all back up and it doesn't seem to have any wax or other filter clogging stuff in it. When I stuck a wire in it yesterday the fuel ran off but now it drips off so it is a little thicker but not much. I think I might give it a whirl and see what happens.

I will feel better once I get this fuel burnt and fill her up with #1 ..

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Another nine hours for a total of about 19 hours and it still flows. Temp is about -9. Fuel is thin but it is separated. Top half of the jar is a little cloudy but the bottom half looks like dirty milk. Once again a quick stir mixed it all back up.

dpantazis

Reaction score
crumm-

i would be more worried that fuel in the bowl and heads might not have howes treated fuel in ...

btw: what was in the vials of the 'filson' thermometer. remember the pics of the vials in the catalogues? DAMHIKT but double tin cloth anywhere below 0 is NOT fun to wear...oh yea, the bottle might not be breakable, but the freaking cap is especially in those temps.

anyhow, last year, first week in december in north dakota, temps were -10 overnight, high of 0 during the day iirc. its not AK but its still freaking cold.

did not have a plug in. as there were no ditch chickens for me so i decided to to hightail it home. 'southern' fuel from central illinois in the beast with howes, on advice from you too i might add!

after 2 glow plug cycles, truck fired up and romped, romped and romped some more even with 5w40 syn oil. but she fired and got us home. fueled up and dosed it with howes again. fine all the way home. so howes it has been for me since. that and new battereis helped.

i use a 20oz vitamin water bottle to does it out. i transfer the big bottle to 4 'little' one so they are all dosed up ready to go.

dennis

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rukirok