Howe's anti-gel guarantee

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Found a good article on clouded fuel click here.

Cloud point is defined as the temperature at which waxy solids first appear during the cooling of diesel fuel. It is a quality control test that has been in use by petroleum refineries for well over 50 years. Worldwide, a significant majority of refineries rely on this test for determining diesel fuel operability in cold weather. Cloud point is the preferred test due to its fail-safe nature in predicting operability, quick analysis time and excellent precision. Besides cloud point, other operability test methods are available; however; their reliability is significantly lower and they are impractical for field use.

What does diesel fuel look like at or near its cloud point?
Like mine ;)

Once the fuel temperature drops to cloud point, solids appear immediately.
Not in my Howe's treated #2 so it must be doing something..

Got this off the Schaeffer site:
When added to the diesel fuel before the diesel fuel has reached its cloud point, it prevents the formation of wax crystals.The anti-gel additive system in Winterized Diesel Treat modifies the individual wax crystals by encapsulating and dispersing them as they are formed. This drastically reduces the size of the wax crystals and prevents the growth of larger wax crystals and their adhesion to each other. This in turn allows the wax crystals to flow through the fuel filters and lines into the combustion chamber with the diesel fuel. By the addition of Diesel Treat Winter to the diesel fuel before it has reached its cloud point, the gelling point of the diesel fuel will be lowered an average of 15°F to 25°F below the original gelling point of the untreated diesel fuel.
Unless I am reading this wrong additives do not lower the cloud point but reduce the size of the crystals in the cloud which is what I am seeing(cloud with no visible crystals). I have also exceeded the 25* limit of there additive as the fuel was good for 14*f and it is now -20*f which is 34*f difference.

I think I might pick up some PowerService Arctic Express and try the jar test again on the #2
Arctic Express® not only modifies the shape and size of wax crystals which fall out of solution as the temperature decreases, but also prevents the wax crystals from settling to the bottom of fuel tanks during storage. Arctic Express® lowers the CFPP of No. 2 diesel fuel as much as 36°F. and prevents fuel gelling in temperatures as low as -40°F. Arctic Express® also provides anti-icing and lubricity benefits that are unobtainable with blended fuels.
We will see if it prevents the separation as it claims "prevents the wax crystals from settling to the bottom". The Howe's site shows that treating +15* fuel with there treatment will lower it to -8* and it did way more than that. We will see if PowerService will do what they claim.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Crumm,many owners in your region utilize coolant assisted heat exchangers to bring the fuel temps up prior to the fuel pump?

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Crumm,many owners in your region utilize coolant assisted heat exchangers to bring the fuel temps up prior to the fuel pump?

Not that I know of in the Automotive world but they do in the Commercial side of things. Normally we just run #1 on the automotive side of things. I just happen to have this #2 left over so I thought some testing would be fun.

Most all the commercial trucks up here run Arctic Fox or Hot Stick tank heaters so they can run blended fuel(rated at -20*)during the winter. We have been shipping #2 fuel(+14*)in from Seattle for our Cat engine equipped trucks as they loose all signs of power and mileage on #1. To run the #2 four(trucks have four tanks)12v in-line heaters have to be added in addition to the tank heaters. They also wrap the fuel lines with 120v heat tape and insulation along with a heat pad on the bottom of one tank that is energized when the truck is plugged in so that the truck can be started. Once started the tank heaters and in-line 12v heaters take over. The 10,000 gallon storage tank is also heated.

I have not seen nor know of anyone with a pick-up that has went through the hassle of installing heaters. If I put more miles on during the winter I might add a bed mounted tank with a heater so I could run blended but for the short drive to work it is not really worth it. #1 is all the service stations sell but there are a couple of cardlocks that sell blended. When it gets real cold the blended won't even come out of the hose at the pump.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rukirok