Howe's anti-gel guarantee

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
crumm-

i would be more worried that fuel in the bowl and heads might not have howes treated fuel in ...

I have been running the truck with treated fuel so it is in the whole system.

'southern' fuel from central illinois in the beast with howes, on advice from you too i might add!

after 2 glow plug cycles, truck fired up and romped, romped and romped some more even with 5w40 syn oil. but she fired and got us home. fueled up and dosed it with howes again. fine all the way home. so howes it has been for me since. that and new battereis helped.

I have never had a problem with howe's and it is currently passing my little test. I wish I had some #2 that was not treated for comparison but #2 is not available here this time of year. Not sure why it is separating but it is definitely not gelling up. I am off to work and if I don't return you will know it failed the -20 test. I have enough faith in it to give it a try.

dpantazis

Reaction score
maybe bama can sent you some true southern #2 fuel!

can you send vials of fuel in the mail? i can not see why you can not with the 'proper' container, but what is the proper container?

what do the fuel/oil quality labs do?

dennis

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theres no #2 down here...its all winter blend !

and crumm...that is some UGLY lookin' fuel !

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
The real question is what the fuel lines on the frame rails are going to do. The tank with large quantities may be fine but the little lines are the true test.

That is why the SD's had the mixing chamber on the fuel pick up to mix warm return fuel with fresh fuel from the tank. First winter after doing the Hutch mods I gelled my lines to the point where I was dropping fuel pressure down to 25psi when accelerating, still ran but was losing FP quickly prolly would have gone to 0 if I had stayed in the throttle. That was on a day that temps ranged from 5F to 12F with 40mph winds before I had the heated Racor pre-pump.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I made it home :thumbs but that is about all I have good to say.

I had a 1 gallon jug in the bed and it didn't look good. It was completely separated like the jar at home. When I fired the truck up I rocked it back and forth for a minute to re-blend the fuel in the tanks. It seemed to mix back up in the jug so I figured it would mix in the tank.

I then let the truck warm up until heat was coming out the vents and headed for home. The drive home was uneventful without a hick-up. I should have pulled the filter and took a look when I got home but I was tired and wanted to go to bed.

When I headed in the house I took a look at the test jar and really didn't like what I saw. The separation was down to about 3/5-2/5 but the bottom 2/5 was about as thick as syrup. I tipped the jar up the stuff on the bottom didn't move. The jug in the bed didn't look near this bad so maybe smaller quantity's react differently than larger quantity's. There is no waxy looking crystals in the fuel like all other gelled fuel I have saw so I am not sure what this separation is all about. Most of the gelled fuel I have ever saw has been frozen like Jello and full of crystal looking chunks that plug filters. This fuel that I have is just separating not really gelling. Very strange.

I have sent Howe's a couple of emails but they have failed to respond. There guarantee is that the fuel will not gel and it has not so I guess they didn't lie but the separation has me concerned. I have used Howe's for quite some time as a lubrication additive but am starting to second guess the winter protection of it. As long as the truck is in motion the fuel will not separate as it takes very little motion to mix it back up but when it sits it separates.

I normally run #1 so gelling is not a problem but since I had this number 2 I thought it would be worth a test. Still up in the air if the test was a pass or fail. It didn't gel but I don't like the look of the separation. Next time I fill up it will be number 1 fuel and I am going to pull a sample and see what it does with and without Howe's. I am also going to set out some untreated #2.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Got home from a party tonight and took another look at the jar. After looking it over I decided to quit playing roulette :wflag and went ahead and siphoned out :spit the front tank. I refilled it with #1 along with a dose of Howe's so it is good to go :woot . I still have the #2 in the rear tank so that the testing can continue :CRAZY When I got home with the tank of #1 I pulled a sample jar and put it outside with the #2.

Here are the latest pictures of the separation before and after a quick stir. It isn't really frozen or gelled but it is separated with the bottom being thick and the top thin :dunno These pics were taken at about -20*f. I took the jar inside and within a few minutes the fuel was clear, then took it back outside and it immediately started clouding up again. The #1 has not clouded up at all, still clear as water.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rukirok