high idle switch

95talon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im still a little new to diesels so take it easy on me....

saw in a few people sigs about a high idle switch or something... whats the reason for that? to get it to warm up faster or what?

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One reason is it allows you to have the truck idle at a rate that keeps the exhaust temps high enough, (above 300 degrees) to prevent causing possible problems (wet stacking) in the winter time.

Another, is it allow you to adjust the idle in the summer to make the AC work better.

And yet another is to keep the batteries charging properly while using items such as winches, etc...

That's just a few serious reasons for it.

And of course, the AIC has lots of buttons, lights, etc... allowing for more of that look in the cab. :sweet

Barrett

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also prevents fouling the injectors over extended idling, it's not good to just let a diesel idle at low RPM for a long time.

Some use it to operate a PTO too.

'05 and up trucks have it programmed into the computer and it's a simple mod of hooking up 12v to a certain wire that is already provided by ford in the customer access bundle, there is also a hot in run customer access wire provided under the dash too.

I have mine set up so it goes into high idle automaticly when certain conditions exist.

If I have the engine running and stationary, trans in park and my foot off the brake all I have to do to engage high idle is put the parking brake on. Cost me a whole whopping 2' of wire, 2 butt connectors, a little electrical tape and 10 minutes.

06_KingRanch

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Also prevents fouling the injectors over extended idling, it's not good to just let a diesel idle at low RPM for a long time.

Some use it to operate a PTO too.

'05 and up trucks have it programmed into the computer and it's a simple mod of hooking up 12v to a certain wire that is already provided by ford in the customer access bundle, there is also a hot in run customer access wire provided under the dash too.

I have mine set up so it goes into high idle automaticly when certain conditions exist.

If I have the engine running and stationary, trans in park and my foot off the brake all I have to do to engage high idle is put the parking brake on. Cost me a whole whopping 2' of wire, 2 butt connectors, a little electrical tape and 10 minutes.

how long does the truck have to be iddling before it will go to high idle? and which wires did u hook up for the high idle to be automatic

paulkeith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine engages the ebpv and ramps up the idle pretty darn quick in cold weather. maybe a minute?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how long does the truck have to be iddling before it will go to high idle? and which wires did u hook up for the high idle to be automatic

Once I stop, put the tranny in park and take my foot off of the brake pedal it will go into high idle at 1200 RPM within a few seconds of applying the parking brake. For manual tranny, must be in nuetral, parking brake set and foot off of the brake pedal, I personally would put a simple switch in line on a manual tranny so I could control it, on the automatic I seldom use the parking brake so that is MY switch. After 1200 rpm, the battery charge protection regulates engine speed based upon the degree of battery charge, up to 2400 rpm maximum. It will go back to low normal idle as soon as you put your foot on the brake pedal or disengage the parking brake or move the clutch pedal on manual trannies.

To do the mod:

Locate these 2 wires on 2005, 2006 and 2007 models only.

1).... If you don't have upfitter switches and don't need them, don't want to buy them or have already used all 4 switches if you do have them.....Under the dash near the diagnostic link connector there is a blunt cut and taped customer access wire that is white with a light blue stripe . This wire has 12v when the key is in the run position and is a 10 amp fused circuit.

2).... Above the parking brake there is a bundle of about 11 blunt cut wires reffered to as the CAC or Customer Access Circuits which are provided for truck builders to set up PTO and other functions. Locate a purple wire with a light green stripe, this is the battery charge protection circuit (be careful, there is a light green wire with a purple stripe here too that should not be fed more than 300 milli amps which is intended for an indicating lamp)

3).... Hook these 2 wires together with about 2 feet of wire and route it so it doesn't get caught in the pedals and steering.

4).... Enjoy a very inexpensive mod

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rukirok