Whats wrong with my ign. cylinder?

Hitechredneck250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Today i was a t a friends house and started the truck like i normally do. moved it iut of the way and when to go shut it off. the cylinder just spun and spun not doing anything. so i popped the cylinder out of the column to try and turn it off by a screwdriver and the slot in the steering column is not moving at all. I had to shut the truck off by pulling that fuel pump fuse and disconectted the batteries. Now it does not start. I can not turn anything at all. Any input would be nice and helpful. thanks

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:sorry :sorry

Wow, SO nothing will come on? Electronics? Lights? Did you blow a fuse or pinch a wire when you were trying to shut the truck off? I am sure that somebody on the site will be able to help you.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you broke the switch for the ignition. The key/lock operate the switch. If the slot that turns the switch is hard or stiff, then you need a new switch.

Dave

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I don't know for sure about an OBS, but with most vehicles I've had to tear into the steering columns over the years, the key cylinder was actually part of a mechanical actuator that moved the switch itself. The actual ignition switch was typically located atop the column but under the dash. It sounds to me like your mechanical actuator inside the column has broken.

A few years ago my daughter drove to school and when she got there, she couldn't turn her car off. It turned out to be a broken sector gear inside the column. When she turned the key to off, it wouldn't move the actual switch under the dash to off.

Hitechredneck250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
tailgunner that is about what my truck is doing. the slot in the steering column where the cylinder set is is seized and wont turn. i popped out the cylinder hoping i could turn it with a straight blade screwdriver but that did not work. guess i pull the column out today and see what i got. hope fully its easy thanks for the input

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rukirok