Replaced auto lockouts w/Warn

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now what do you suggest for:
1. vacuum lines -- leave connected to wheels or terminate somewhere?
2. wheel covers -- the Warns are smaller and recessed and create quite a nice bucket to catch mud!

I searched about and saw some references to #1 but got lost on the acronyms. Sure would appreciate some help! Thanks in advance.:thanks

Also, one of the auto hubs still works fine, the other was Inop. Will be happy to send to someone in need.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nudge. I'm back from Brazil, looking for some ideas! Thanks.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
1. I left mine hooked up for no other reason than it's keeps the crud out of the vacuum ports in the knuckles.

2. Yeah. Sucks, don't it? Wear a pair of gloves to lock them in, or you'll find all the sharp edges on the covers.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I was hoping leaving the lines connected would be ok but wasn't sure. Sure wish there was some after-market wheel cover for the Warn hubs, why are they a smaller diameter!! They've let a pile of dirt road crud in already...bet that is an issue for wheel balance on highway.

Lynden-Jeff

Landscaper
Reaction score
Thanks! I was hoping leaving the lines connected would be ok but wasn't sure. Sure wish there was some after-market wheel cover for the Warn hubs, why are they a smaller diameter!! They've let a pile of dirt road crud in already...bet that is an issue for wheel balance on highway.

Hey,

Althought this is old they are smaller so you don't riob them off, if they were flush they could get torn off. Do you guys like these? Im thinking of replacing my stock ones with these since my hub seals are botched.

Thanks

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warns are great, no question about that! I like 'em just fine, and have used in restored military jeeps and in our 4x4's from the 70's and 80's too.

You are correct that the Warn is a bit shorter, but the diameter of the Warn hub is also smaller than the Ford auto/lock hub too. The combo with my wheel cover is like a "target" for mud & such.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man this thread makes me realize the OE auto-lockers (w/ manual back up)
are pretty darn good !

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man this thread makes me realize the OE auto-lockers (w/ manual back up) are pretty darn good !

Bush, like I said...I got one OE left still, for anyone in need.

A pair of Warns was half the cost of replacing the right front OE unit.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bush, like I said...I got one OE left still, for anyone in need.

A pair of Warns was half the cost of replacing the right front OE unit.

sorry i missed that....why did you have to replace the OE unit ?
i 'spose if i some how busted one id try to save some $ by going
w/ the manual hubs too.

so many times folks complain about these hubs...and more often
than not its just the seals...and these systems need some periodic
maint. <cleaning> or hub seal replacments...neither of those is
a very tough job to do.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry i missed that....why did you have to replace the OE unit ?
i 'spose if i some how busted one id try to save some $ by going
w/ the manual hubs too.

I must not have exercised the manual part of it enough (hell, it was an "auto"!!!), and it got real hard to turn. I took to carrying a crescent wrench for some leverage. Took it out and soaked it in oil (that may have been a mistake) and it got a little better but not much. Then a few months later I found "guzzle's" website & proceeded to see if I could loosen it properly and grease the bearings too. Got seals, studs, etc just in case...Long story short, I pretty much trashed the unit trying to get it come out.

When I got it back together it just wasn't any better, and so I decided to put in the Warn units on account of price. I still have it for one of those days when I'll have time to figure it out! And of course, the good one from the other side! Meanwhile, bearings are greased and I can still use 4wd. Just got an unclean fit between hub and wheel cover.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rukirok