Remote 4x4 Camping

canterburyfour

www.canterburyfour
Reaction score
We sold our 4WD camper in Febuary and are going nuts not camping. A lot of our camping was off the beat'n path and now that we have the SuperDuty we want to find a good truck camper that will take the abuse and is fairly light weight.
Does anyone have any experience with any of these companies?
hallmark Mfg. Inc.- The only option for hallmark pop-up truck campers. Authorized dealer of Okanagan hardside campers. : Home
Outfitter slide-in pop-up truck campers, RV manufacturer & retailer.
Northstar Campers

We need to sleep 4 and we camp more in the Fall and Winter.

Here is our last camper(all stock) with front and rear locking diff's' It would go more places than any stock 4wd. Kinda funny:D

409a.jpg

Here is a link to more pics.
bmweuro/87 Syncro Westy - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Any help or advice would be wonderful.:thanks

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Dude... you SOLD a Westfalia combat bus conversion?

You're goofier than a retard with hypoxia...

I think you should ask Crumm & Tailgunner
They seems to be the two with the most product knowledge here...

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
WHY DID YOU SELL A SYNCRO?!??!?!!?!? :dunno

Man....I had access to one of those in high school and college. One of the best camping/4x4 vehicles ever!!!!! I was a mechanic for a local VW shop and I would steal that thing on the weekends and head out. It was fantastic.

I don't know man.....you can't get much better than that. I would go find another. It all depends on your budget.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Wow..............that thing looks sweet!!!

Tbar

canterburyfour

www.canterburyfour
Reaction score
Dude... you SOLD a Westfalia combat bus conversion?

You're goofier than a retard with hypoxia...

I think you should ask Crumm & Tailgunner
They seems to be the two with the most product knowledge here...

No conversion. This is all factory VW baby!!!!

canterburyfour

www.canterburyfour
Reaction score
WHY DID YOU SELL A SYNCRO?!??!?!!?!? :dunno

Man....I had access to one of those in high school and college. One of the best camping/4x4 vehicles ever!!!!! I was a mechanic for a local VW shop and I would steal that thing on the weekends and head out. It was fantastic.

I don't know man.....you can't get much better than that. I would go find another. It all depends on your budget.

We sold it because it was way under powered. It has 90HP and would not get out of its own way on the highway which was making me nervous getting to our offroad adventures plus someone offered me $32,000 for it and I couldn't say no.

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
Yeah....$32k is hard to pass up. Those things are worth a lot though.

We swaped a 911 motor into one and then swaped gears in the tranny. It was a high roof model. Fun as hell to drive and would MOVE down the road.

I would suggest just buying a truck bed slide in camper. You can get them completely self contained and it could slide right into your truck. Instant 4x4 camper.

Or....you could buy one of these if you have a spare $150k laying around. :sly

EarthRoamer Home Page

canterburyfour

www.canterburyfour
Reaction score
Yeah....$32k is hard to pass up. Those things are worth a lot though.

We swaped a 911 motor into one and then swaped gears in the tranny. It was a high roof model. Fun as hell to drive and would MOVE down the road.

I would suggest just buying a truck bed slide in camper. You can get them completely self contained and it could slide right into your truck. Instant 4x4 camper.

Or....you could buy one of these if you have a spare $150k laying around. :sly

EarthRoamer Home Page

The Earth Roamer give me goose bumps and so does the Sportsmobile.
I have been look at a lot of the slide in campers and I an concerned about weight. The payload seems to be right at 2500 pounds and the fixed roof campers are pushing that dry and the pop top ones are around 1600 pounds. Lighter is better if we are going to do some serious offroading and a low center of gravity. I know with the old VW you could(and we did) climb almost straight up the side of any hill and turn around and come right back down. with a fixed roof slide in camper I would be a little concerned.
Thanks for the input.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rukirok