Power issues

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think the 110 option was available for the diesel trucks, just a single 130, or dual 130's. One package I saw for mine was a single 140. I'll dig my book out when I get back from Cancun and start thinking about snow again...

Lynden-Jeff

Landscaper
Reaction score
iirc the single alternator config. was offered in a two different
levels 110a and 135a.

i dont know how you determine which one is installed.

there are all KINDS of options out there...and ive seen
some offerings into the 300a & 400a range (big bucks!)

heres one that addresses the issue specifically -->
Alternator upgrade for Ford 7.3L & 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

high output alternator - Google Search

Are those alternators any good bushpilot? I changed both batteries and one was for sure botched. The other didn't seem to strong, im actually surprised my truck started. I am getting my alt output tested tomorow, if its low I will change it out with a 160 HD one otherwise ill try it for another storm with the new batteries.

Cheers
Jeff

atk

Reaction score
You need to remember that the plow is still an intermittent load, the batteries will absorb the rest. I have a 16,500 lb winch on the trailer that draws ALOT more than that, and it never is a problem, but I have a total of 3 good batteries in line (2 on the truck one on the trailer).

that is true.... but you also got to remember that when plowing snow you are out there for alot of hours continously running the plow, which in turn the plow motor or alternator do heat up....i am not saying it is not the batts. or the alt., i was giving him another option....:D ....

also i know there are alternators that you can get that will put more amps at a lower rpm, i am not sure where at the moment....hope this helps

93turbo_animal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the OBS and even the IDIs were 130 amp alts I wouldn't think that they would have dropped it on the new ones but would bet it was your weak batteries. The alt. will not run your stuff with out the batteries so now just keep an eye on your altas I have seen them go out shortly after replacing the batteries when the system has been taxed. Otherwise I would think you would be fine I have plowed for years with a single battery 60 amp alternator on a gasser now my diesel don't even act like its on there

Lynden-Jeff

Landscaper
Reaction score
Did the alt test and it was running at 14.0 volts. I think it will do for now but I will be upgrading to one of those 160 amp HD alternators.

Cheers
Jeff

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rukirok