Question Oil Filter Question

bmcwhorter

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I usually have my oil changed while I am at work. Last night I changed it myself. When I removed the filter from the top of the engine, Inside the filter and on top of the spring was a plastic spacer or something which fell out when I pulled it off the spring. The filter was a little out of shape and this plastic spacer was twisted also. I could not find anything about it in my manual and was wondering if it goes back inside the filter and if I need to buy a new on. I put the filter in without it. Do I need to do a re-do?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
My guess is it is from the old filter. Don't worry too much. What year of truck are we talking about??

Dave:)

Deerjager

Meister Gewehr
Reaction score
Oops, I should have suggested you fill out your signature line with all the info on your truck so others will know what you have and are better able to help you.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's most likely part of the oil filter. There should be a plastic pic on top and bottem of the filter. There should be NO Spacer with the oil filter. Use a OEM filter. Dont go cheep on this part.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It must not of been a Motorcraft oil filter, in our
trucks only use Motercraft oil and fuel filters.
Doug

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Doug is correct..
6.0, 6.4 & 6.7 trucks HAVE TO HAVE Motorcraft oil filters in them, or the warranty is void.

There's no 7.3's left in any type of warranty anymore, but I've used Wix filters on everything I drive for the last 25 years.. never had a problem.

But every truck we service at the shop.. we buy Motorcraft filters for it.

SuperDuty99&01

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I agree motorcraft only, even for my 7.3. Seems to me ive actually seen aftermarkets explode internally, and work loose on 7.3 truck when I serviced Halliburton pickups.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rukirok