Help Needed Need help with a fuel leak on my '02 7.3L!!!!!

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm completely new to diesels, and I could use some input with a fuel leak I have on my 2002 7.3L. It is dripping fuel out of a metal hose going into my filter housing in the engine. The line is the one underneath the yellow, manual water separator drain valve. It looks like it is going into a black plastic housing on the backside (towards cab) of the filter housing unit. Does anybody know what line this is? Does it have an O-ring inside that might be the cause of the leak?

I haven't really had any time to mess with it as I just purchased the vehicle, and I haven't ordered my Helms manual yet. So I'm just trying to get some feedback of what I'm dealing with before I tackle this job on my days off. Thanks for any help.......

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score

ghoff

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem, and ended up changing the whole valve. I figured that a plastic valve that sees heat from the engine, that deals with fuel should probably get changed once in a while. But that is just my opinion. I'm sure others may view it differently.

Greg

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem, and ended up changing the whole valve. I figured that a plastic valve that sees heat from the engine, that deals with fuel should probably get changed once in a while. But that is just my opinion. I'm sure others may view it differently.

Greg

Do you remember what you paid for the whole unit, and did you get it from a Ford dealer? I've heard people say $20 and others say $50 for the whole unit?

ghoff

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
shoot..Sorry for the delay man! I haven't been online for a few days. Anyway, I paid about 45-50 for the whole valve (from the dealer). I think your numbers are about right. I believe you can change just the o-rings for 15-20 bucks. But I just thought it might be cheap insurance to change the whole thing. Have fun with those little torx screws! Good luck!

Greg

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered just the o-rings online for like $4.00. Installed them yesterday. So far it looks like the leak is fixed, but I haven't driven it a lot. Keeping my fingers crossed. Just want to say thanks for everyone's input.;tu

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moose