Napa Duralite Filter Question

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Are these...

View attachment 1071

indicators that this filter is to element's dirt capacity?

View attachment 1072

That filter has 20k miles on it, pleats weren't pulled flat like that last week. The filter before this one didn't pull all the pleats like that, maybe about 50%. It had around 12k on it.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would think flattening of a section would be, but the little flattening on the top part of a pleat is not due to vacuume. That is the strongest part of the pleat and it looks like ruff handling.

Dave:dunno

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I just looked at my filter, its got about 5 or 6 thousand miles on it (3 months) and it looks bright white still but I too have flattened pleats just like your pic Antonio, so I have to say no, its not a pluggage issue.

I dunno, I think I should put my filter minder back on.

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Bugs being drawn in at high velocity have been known to make dents like that. The solution is to keep your foot out of the go pedal.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
New filters are flattened a little at the end of the pleats every so often. It's just that the dirty one is wider at the flat parts now. No rough handling either, out of the box and onto the coupler

Here's the first filter I used.

View attachment 1075

Left arrow shows what rows on the filter on my truck now looks like all the way around. The right arrow is about what they look like new.:dunno

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I didnt inspect my filter (closely) before I put it on the truck back in November, but Ive got flat spots on it right now that resemble your left arrow example, as I said... only about 5,000 miles on it and its pleats are still bright white.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Are they all that wide? Mine are wider than they were say a month ago. I do know that smoke has been a little more difficult to control but I'm also running the Evo right now.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I was kinda surprised how many of them were flattend (fattend?) out like what you have pictured.

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
I had my filter off today when I changed out my PCM and noticed mine had alot of flat spot on the top of the pleats too so out of curiosity I blew through the inside with an air hose and boy was it full of dirt. It still looked fairly clean on the outside. I think I had 12-15k on it. Time for the new one. Maybe it is an indication of having to draw in air harder.

lifted_up

TractorMan
Reaction score
:burnit

Don't you guys use a pre-filter (sock) ? I use an 'Outerwear' #20-2087-03(WR275-11T). It keeps the dirt down to .005 microns out and is water repellant. You can find info out at www.outerwears.com and it fits the large filter(8.5"diam x 11.5"). Just a thought:sweet :tex

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rukirok