Fuel leak?

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Hey guys,
so im filling up today and do my usual look around the truck. I notice a puddle under the tranny area. I get under, dip my finger into a clear liquid and smell. Seemed to be deisel fuel but not sure. Never had a very good nose after going through the gas chamber! Anyway, wondering what it could be. Ill post a pic asap. Posting this from my phone. It looks like its leaking from a small open spout in front of thr e tranny but behind the motor.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7.3 fuel leaks can be a Booger Clint. The First place to look is the Water Drain Valve on the fuel filter housing. When the O rings dry up.. fuel can leak onto the Pass side head... runz along the oil rail.. down the back of the head.. passed the starter.. down the bell housing.. then drips off (lowest point), near the center... where you describe it.

Give the Drain Valve a look-see ?

Joe

What ELSE.. would a guy wanabe do'n on Easter Sunday..;):lmao

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
You talking about the yellow switch joe? I thought that was to drain your fuel bowl?

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You talking about the yellow seitch joe? I thought that was to drain your fuel bowl?

Yep, that Is what it's for... but it has O rings in it's construction. They eventualy dry out a seap/leak. Look and feel around the valve area it for being wet. If it is wet.. there's a rebuild kit to rebuild it.. or you can search around for just.. the O rings, by size. There's DIY on here to do the rebuild too. If not (?) PM me.

JOE

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
okay. ill look for the rebuild kit.
is it fine to drive as is? the leak doesnt seem to be that bad.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay. ill look for the rebuild kit.
is it fine to drive as is? the leak doesnt seem to be that bad.

Thats >IF< it's the drain valve Clint.. look around at other fuel lines & fittings too

But Nah.. yer okay.. just keep an eye on it. If say.. over-night you have big puddle.. you better git after it. Common Sence Stuff.

Ford has the kits.. NAPA and the like.. may have the O rings.

Maybe another member can jump in also ?

Last edited:

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
i checked it and i cant quite see it leaking fuel. it does look moist but not sure if that is oil or not. anyway, if i do find that this is my problem, would i still need to replace the o-rings if i did a fuel bowl delete?

what are the advantages/disadvantages of the fuel bowl delete?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i checked it and i cant quite see it leaking fuel. it does look moist but not sure if that is oil or not. anyway, if i do find that this is my problem, would i still need to replace the o-rings if i did a fuel bowl delete?

what are the advantages/disadvantages of the fuel bowl delete?

:dunno Havent got a Clue what could be achieved by deleting the fuel filter & bowl :dunno

Unless it would be part of some High dollar Aftermarket filtration set-up.

Anyone ???

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Did some searching joe and thats exactly what its for. ITP has a regulated return setup w/ a fu bowl delete option. I would like to add this system in the future, but will just replace the o rings for now. Appreciate the help big joe. You da man.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moose