Question Excursions, Good or Bad???

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
During my online diesel truck shopping, I've come across a couple older (2000-2001) Excursions w/ 7.3L that look pretty nice (at least online so far) and at a pretty good price IMO. Besides the obvious negative of not having a bed, is there anything bad about the Excursions? Do they get worse gas mileage or worse towing by possibly being heavier?

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The question is really whether you need a large SUV like an Excursion? You really can't make a direct comparison of a Super Duty and an Excursion since they are not intended for the same thing. The Excursion is extremely heavy at nearly 9000 pounds so fuel mileage will suffer as will overall towing capacity. Plus since you don't have a bed you have no option to tow a 5th wheel or gooseneck trailer for the really heavy loads.

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excursion

The question is really whether you need a large SUV like an Excursion? You really can't make a direct comparison of a Super Duty and an Excursion since they are not intended for the same thing. The Excursion is extremely heavy at nearly 9000 pounds so fuel mileage will suffer as will overall towing capacity. Plus since you don't have a bed you have no option to tow a 5th wheel or gooseneck trailer for the really heavy loads.

I wasn't really looking for an Excursion when I was doing my truck shopping. I just kind of stumbled across them during my search. They look nice and the prices looked pretty good, so it got me thinking. I don't necessarily need that seating capacity.

If the Excursion is 9000 lbs, what is the weight of a regular crew cab Super Duty 4x4 truck? What type of gas mileage could I expect to get and to lose in comparison to a crew cab truck?

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Calling all Excursion owners

Truck in my sig weights around 7700#

Thanks for the input.

Is there any diesel Excursion owners out there who can tell me what mpg they get? Their likes and dislikes? Thanks.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
CHPMustang has one..
I think it's been pretty good for him...

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an 03 6.0 and I get 12-15 intown combination driving and I have seen 20 on long interstate runs. I love my Excursion and will have it for many years to come. The Ex is not 9000 lbs, I think it is closer to 7-7500.... I will have to put it on the truck scale at the Elevator next time I am at my Mom and Dads...

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Does anybody know for sure what the weight of the Excursion is compared to a cew cab Super Duty 4x4?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
they're a little heavier, due to the extra sheetmetal, glass, upholstery, etc..

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn't really looking for an Excursion when I was doing my truck shopping. I just kind of stumbled across them during my search. They look nice and the prices looked pretty good, so it got me thinking. I don't necessarily need that seating capacity.

If the Excursion is 9000 lbs, what is the weight of a regular crew cab Super Duty 4x4 truck? What type of gas mileage could I expect to get and to lose in comparison to a crew cab truck?

My truck GVW is 9910 pounds with 40 gal. fuel (If i'm sitting in it it breaks the 10,000 mark) and my truck is a Crew Cab, Super Duty, long bed, 4x4 truck on 35" tall tires. I get about 14 to 16 mpg city and 18 to 20 mpg hwy. I think most people get around 12 city and 16 hwy. Your mileage will depend on how you drive it too.

Excursion Curb weight 7,190 lb+/-

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moose