AFE Stage II installed!

CHPMustang

Reaction score
how much of a gain do you think i would see over the k&n fipk intake i have right now?
I researched for the best filtration and air flow capabilities which came right down to the ProGuard 7 by AFE.

When looking just at the physical characteristics of the two different filters & intake tubes the AFE is a monster kit compared to the K&N therefor I believe you'd get more performance from the AFE stage II.

I've used K&N with great success in our Mustangs but for the trucks AFE is the way we go:sweet

If someone could do a real time dyno comparison that'd be great:cool:

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard K&N filters being referred to as "squirrel traps" because of the size of the particles they allow to enter the engine/turbo. Haven't got any basis on this besides my memory, and if it serves me correctly, it was from people who knew something about something.

Did y'all notice an EGT difference going from the BAF mod to the AFE?
Jesse

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
A lot of the things that you heard about K&N filters are from people like me who used to use their replacement STOCK air filters. These were not the best. The new products that they now ship are a good filter. I have no personal experience with these newer products, but many here report that they work just great. I think it is safe to say that K&N makes a good product.

Dave

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
I want to say the temps dropped 25-50 degrees with the AFE but the marked improvement is quicker spool up and acceleration:sweet

Same here. I towed over Eisenhower and Vail Pass with 7k lbs on the back and my EGT's were a little bit lower than before, but not a whole lot.

I hear a LOT more noise now that I'm not sure is normal or not. The numbers on my boost gauge seem normal (ISSPRO gauge tied into the MAP line), there's just some new noises there. If I'm WOT and then let off abruptly, it sounds like a ricer's blow-off valve. I'm assuming that's normal just because the turbo has to release the pressure somewhere. But sometimes it almost sounds like the air flow is stuttering.

Wingdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here. I towed over Eisenhower and Vail Pass with 7k lbs on the back and my EGT's were a little bit lower than before, but not a whole lot.

I hear a LOT more noise now that I'm not sure is normal or not. The numbers on my boost gauge seem normal (ISSPRO gauge tied into the MAP line), there's just some new noises there. If I'm WOT and then let off abruptly, it sounds like a ricer's blow-off valve. I'm assuming that's normal just because the turbo has to release the pressure somewhere. But sometimes it almost sounds like the air flow is stuttering.

That my friend is called turbo surge. Happens when you stop suckin the air into the motor cause you backed off fast on the happy pedal. The boost has no place to go.:eek: Very bad for turbos. A different compressor wheel like a Wicked Wheel will help that situation a bit.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I'm WOT and then let off abruptly, it sounds like a ricer's blow-off valve. I'm assuming that's normal just because the turbo has to release the pressure somewhere. But sometimes it almost sounds like the air flow is stuttering.

I noticed the same sound when I switched from my aFe Stage I intake to the Tymar intake I'm running now. Four hours, $75, and one Wicked Wheel later--problem solved. :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
A lot of the things that you heard about K&N filters are from people like me who used to use their replacement STOCK air filters. These were not the best. The new products that they now ship are a good filter. I have no personal experience with these newer products, but many here report that they work just great. I think it is safe to say that K&N makes a good product.

Dave

:sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rukirok