5W-40 SYN in 6.0?

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have about 8,500 miles on my 07 6.0. I've been on the fence about running syn 5-40. I'd like to give it a try. it doesn't get very cold here in FL, but we do have a few mornings below freezing. I like the idea of having oil for year round temps & cold start up protection. And maybe etending the oil change interval from 5k to 7,5k. Increasing MPG's would be good also. My realistic options for 5-40 are Rotella T (CI-4+/SL) or Mobil 1 delvac (CJ4/SM). Are there any issues with running 5-40 in the 6.0? Does the 6.0 like one better than the other? How are the UOAs looking with 5-40 in the 6.0?

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have been running Rotella Syn 5W-40 oil for over 70,000 miles and I am happy. Cold starting is very easy when it gets down into the low 30's and 20's. I have not noticed and hot weather problems with this oil. Our climates are very similar.

Dave

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed the oil tonight and dumped in 5-40 Rotella and a PureOne filter. (1pc design). Tomorrow I'll see if theres any difference in MPGs and such. but so far so good.

blueoneton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TampaDieselFX4

I have a 2002 F350 with the 7.3 with 64,000 on the clock. I also plan on trying the Rotella 5w40 during next years cold season knowing the engine will be happier. Presently, I use the Rotella T 15w40 with no issues. I honestly do not expect to see too much of a noticeable milage increase just because of using the Rotella 5w40 in my truck.

bot

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only gains would be during cold starts and the first few miles. I had 15-40 in a 4cyl Malibu this past summer and then switched back to 5-30 and noticed a considerable MPG gain. but once warmed up, you're right no difference should be exptected.

VALKYRIES

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
5W-40

sorry to be daft but isn't the 6/L a hydrolicly lifted injector??? If so I don't think that the oil is rated for that pressure?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Look at the API rating on the container. It should be CH4 or later. This meets all of Ford's specs for oil.

Dave

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, changed over to 5-40 Rotella & a pureone purolator filter. The engine sure does act different. Starts up a lot easier and QUIETER. I notice it espeically when at cruising speeds, the engine is MUCH quieter. the wife actually noticed the noise difference... I never even brought it up. and my MPG's are back to where the should be! Back to getting good MPG's... I'm guessing the oil in there was shot. b/c for the past few tanks MPG's have been crappy. Now we're back in business. today I averaged 20mpg to work and last week I was only getting like 14mpg; which has not been normal for that truck. last tank combined was 12mpg.. horrible. I guess the 6.0 really is rough on oil. Now I know where people came up with that "4K OCI". Right around there my MPG' s went out the window. see how the Syn oil holds up.

Last edited:

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
4k OCI is right where I'm at. I know this sounds stupid, but I can tell when the truck needs an oil change just by sound and fuel mileage. Some owners have better OCI's than others. Mine flat out destroys oil in short order. But then again its far from stock and tow's alot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rukirok