Help Needed 02 7.3L Cold start up problems

custom4xs

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
In the past month or so my 02 250 w/ 7.3 has been having problems starting and staying running when the engine is cold. I had the cps replaced to no help, changed the ots, no help either. Its getting old waiting 20-25 minutes to even move the truck even when the outside temp is above 50f. Can anyone give some insight.

JRJ04

Reaction score
possibly sounds like bad glowplugs to me. whens the last time youve changed your oil, fuel filter, air filter etc? hows the oil level?

custom4xs

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Oil is alittle over due, air filter was cleaned and re-oiled in last month,fuel filter changed at same time. If it was the glow plugs, I thought it would put a code in the computer, the service engine light will come on but it will go out. I don't have time to put the scanner on it to check it when it comes on.

JRJ04

Reaction score
someone correct me if im wrong...but i dont think glowplugs will set a code.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Glow plugs do not set a code. The codes are stored in the PCM for a while, so you don't have to read them immediately.

Dave

CKyle494

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think that the trucks do but my uncle's 02 Excursion give a SES and when I checked it, it gave codes for glow plugs 1 and 3 as being bad.

custom4xs

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well it sounds like I will be changing out the glow plugs, I quess there is no point in just trying to 1 at a time, we'll get all eight. Thanks for he input and I will let you know what happens.:sweet

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
you need to put a scan tool on it and then start it up.

If it's starting, it's not the glow plugs. Especially after the 20 minutes you mentioned.

custom4xs

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Need Help

Well went to start truck this morning to get it to the shop, and it will start and cut off. Truck will run for about 30sec. to a minute and die, have to crank it for about 20-30 sec. will start and idle real rough and die right out. Its was 14 degrees this morning truck has been plugged in all night. I ordered the glow plugs and plan on putting them in today. Thanksthis is he right place to start. Once again no engine codes or engine light.:dunno

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would start with your glow plugs. You can plug in your truck for a couple of hours before you start it. Fill out your signature so we will know what you drive. Go to the USER CP above.

Dave :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NattyGlee22