Help Needed 02 7.3L Cold start up problems

custom4xs

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Truck was plugged in all night. As soon as I get back to the shop we will be replacing the glow plugs. Thanks

2002 F-250 Crew Cab short bed, 7.3L, 6.5" pro comp all spring lift, 36x13.5x20 iroks on 20x10 juice eight wheels, magnaflow muffler, super chip programmer.

TEXF350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
well im going thought he same thing .. and its my glow plugs ... im in texas too but have a cali titled truck and some thing i didn't know Cali truck throw the glow plugs code ... so .. just check you glow plugs should eb 20 or over ... so ... good luck ... it was hair pulling for me ..

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The glow plugs should read .5 ohms or less. If they are shorted to ground they are good. If they are open to ground they are bad.

Dave

custom4xs

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well changed driver side glow plugs out, ohmed them out they read 1.0 to .8, also checked them out of the truck and they started glowing after about 2 seconds of power applied. The truck will crank, slowly start up, idle very roughly, and die right out. I will wait about a minute or two try and start it again and the truck will crank until it seems like it is priming itself for fuel. Then it will run rough for 1 min. and die again. Burnt 1 starter up from to much cranking, truck is plugged in the entire time. Could there be a problem with the fuel pump, is the 1 onn the frame rail the only pump for 7.3L. Help:dunno

2002 F-250 7.3L, 6.5" pro comp lift, 36x13.5x20 iroks on 20x10 Juice 8 wheels, Magnaflow muffler, superchip programmer.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel pump on the frame rail is the Only pump.. on the 7.3.

You might try removing the Chip ? Load test your Batteries ? Re-check the fuel filter.

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
before you try to start the truck up in the morning check the oil level in the HPOP..it should be about 3/4 of an inch from the top...a bad o ring can cause the oil to drain back to the crank case...if that's full then pull the plug on the ICP sensor and see if she starts then..if still a no go then you have a fuel problem..pump or possibly gelling...if the pump works...remove the line coming from the tank from the pump..take off filler cap and blow air into the line back to the tank...the screen in the tank could be full of trash..you said you changed the filter..how bad was the filter you took out?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GOOD.. "In the driveway", "Humped over the Fender" Info, gitr dun stuff Ron ;tu;tu

My kinda Wrench'n.. I like that. :lmao

Joe

custom4xs

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
alright got truck back together, tried to start it and starter shorted out, Got new starter cranked truck 1 time and that starter died. Finally got a good starter and before we cranked it check oil level in hpop, there is not much oil in it. Could this be that o-ring problem, can I just replace the oil ring or do I need a new pump. And where is this oil ring at.:eek:

2002 F250 7.3L 6.5" procomp lift on 36x13.5x20 iroks on 20x10 juice 8 wheels, Magnaflow muffler, super chip programmer.

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you need to make sure you check before any cranking is done...injector oring is the most common..there is a check valve in the res. that can leak by as well..is the any puddles of oil in the valley??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NattyGlee22