Help Needed 01 f-350 7.3 just died--no codes found

tassotiv

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I was driving down the road and truck just died like i turned off the key, tried cranking it and just keeps turning over again and again but not cranking...left it alone for two week ran fine for about two days and did the same thing. i have no clue what could cause this..i even tried starting fluid and nothing...PLEASE HELP
985-778-3981 please FEEL FREE to contact me via phone

taylor

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would be willing to bet that your CPS is shot. Get a new one from Ford or IH and install it and you will be good to go. They are cheap, around $20 I think. Get a spare and carry it in your glove box. CPS = Cam Position Sensor and it is located in the front of the engine near the Crank Pulley.

Dave

tassotiv

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
just spoke with my father (truck is at his house) he says he thinks he changed the CPS he also has a spare in the glovebox...he told me he is in the middle of changing the fuel pump located on the fuel rail. we have pulled the bed drained and cleaned tank & filter. im getting fuel to the filter on top of engine i guess it just might not be enough pressure...im totally lost and will try anything to get my baby back running (my 1st "big" truck and i love it)

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Are all the fuses in your fuse control box are OK? I would lean towards the fuel heater shorting out BUT you said at one point in time you got the girl running again so I think we should rule this out. Are you getting white smoke out the tail pipe when cranking? Do you have a fuel level in the fuel filter canister? Im wondering if you arent having an IDM issue here.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Taylor..
just tried your phone..

2 things..
1. do you have a "wait to start" light?
2. does it make smoke when it cranks?

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Also, the CPS is under a recall. Ford will replace it for free. Black CPS is the old one. Gray is the one being installed in the recall.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I talked to him last night..
truck does not make smoke when it cranks, so that raises the probability of a fuel delivery issue..
with the drain valve open, when he keys it on, he's getting just a dribble out of the fuel bowl..

he's thinking fuel pump
I think he might be on the right track, but it's hard to say over the internet 1100 miles away...

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I talked to him last night..
truck does not make smoke when it cranks, so that raises the probability of a fuel delivery issue..
with the drain valve open, when he keys it on, he's getting just a dribble out of the fuel bowl..

he's thinking fuel pump
I think he might be on the right track, but it's hard to say over the internet 1100 miles away...

What's the fuel level in the tank? If it's low <1/4 tank, it might be an issue with the pickup in the tank sucking air. It was that issue that prompted "Hutch in Augusta" to come up with the "Hutch mod".

Besides, it happened to me about 7 years ago.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NattyGlee22