won't go into park???

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
Was out driving around this morning, go to stop for breakfast and can't get the truck to stay in park. The column shifter would engage in park, but it was kinda tough to get it in there. After fiddling with it for a few it finally stayed. Well, get home, and can't get it to stay in park at all now. The column shifter is in park, but something isn't properly engaging the neutral safety switch either because I have to move the shifter to neutral to get it to start. I'd go crawl under there, but it's snowing right now and my garage isn't big enough for the truck. Any ideas on what to look for??

EDIT: little clarification, the shifter goes into park, but the truck still rolls

Last edited:

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
Hopefully that's all it is. The snow's stopped, but it's still freaking cold out there so I'll check it out tomorrow probably.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I can relate with you.

The combination of snow, cold, a broken truck and lack of a large heated garage really can suck bigtime.

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
Not even a hint of a problem with it since I made this post . . . freaking weird.

Only thing I can assume is it had something to do with the cold weather as that was the first real cold snap we've had here in 6 months.

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
First snow of the year, and it was 75* the day before, so there was a fair amount of snow on the grass, but the streets were just wet for the most part.

Snow and ice build up on the linkage could be it though, although when it snowed a TON last winter it never gave me any problems, who knows. If it does it again I'll crawl under there and have a look-see.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rukirok