What should I look for? Buying a used f2/350

up_roktoy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Looking at buying a 4 door 4x4 Ford with the powerstroke, I don't have a preference on F250 or 350, either will work for me.

In general what can I expect to look for?

Most of the trucks that I am looking at are 200-2003 7.3's with about 100,000 give or take.

What kind of mileage can I expect?

I am going from a half ton gasser (99 chevy) that has 170,000 on the clock and has been 100% trouble free since I bought it a year and a half ago with 100,000 on it. I don't NEED the diesel, but I WANT the diesel, plus that added little bit of grunt will help me pull my boat just that much better.

This will be my first diesel purchase, but not the first time I have driven, towed with, or worked on one.

I am comparing between this and the 98+ 24 valve cummins trucks.

I do have to have the 4 door, it must be 4x4 and it can be a 250 or 350.

How much should I pay and what should I look for?

Thanks

txastuff79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to me, look for maintenance reciepts, oil leaks, all fluid conditions, ball joints and steering component play, and tire wear patterns. oh, and of course the sound of the engine and exhaust pulses.

then theres the test drive. pulls, pushes, drifting, take it over some bumps, dips. hard turns both directions. these are just a few pointers. theres tons more things to look for but these would be a good starting point.

txastuff79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh, and mines for sale if interested. 2002 f350 c.c. lwb 4x4 with lots of goodies.

up_roktoy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I guess I know my way around a test drive and loose components in the steering/suspension. But what type of problems are common that should be considered before the purchase?

Lots of goodies? Explain. I think I would prefer stock since I am new to diesels and don't REALLY know my way around them.....but shoot me a PM with some details.

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make damn sure its got a good tranny in it,nothin worse then buyin a truck and finding out the tranny is bad,i fell for it,the guy told me i just had to learn when to shift it and it wouldnt grind,im young and gullable i guess,so i find out synchros are gone,it sucked. so check the drivetrain out very well,best of luck

nc1500

MyFirstPS444
Reaction score
I just bought my 2000 250 Crew Lariat from a friend who has some posts on here. Mine has over 180k on it and still runs well with no major mechanical issues. I know how well he's maintained this truck and what's been replaced. The best advice I can give is to know who you're buying from and what you're buying. Otherwise, have the truck looked over from a qualified technician.

You can expect to pay in the mid teens for a nice condition truck, several thousand less for one that was worked hard. Pay for the better condition and maintenance, it will pay off in the long run. Don't be afraid of worn tires and componenets. These are telling of material condition of the truck.

Overall, the 7.3 has been around long enough to where everyone knows how to fix all of the problems. This is a good truck and, in my opinion, the last of the "real" diesels that Ford ever put into a truck.

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
97 PowerStroker, how has that engine brake worked for ya?? I'm towing a skid loader. That and the trailer weigh a little over 10K. Does it really cut down on normal, non loaded brake usage that much? Thanks in advance.

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it does help,say im cruisin in 4th gear around 2200 or 2300 and i let off the throttle,the brake comes on around 1800 i would say.it feels like i just downshifted to third,which really helps when around the city when the traffic in front of you starts to slow a bit my banks brake slows me down so i dont even touch the brake,but you really notice it when your towing,it really is a good thing to have.you have to be careful with your cruise control,im not sure if it was hooked up wrong on mine but,if i have the e-brake on and i turn on my cruise control on,after a few seconds the e-brake will come on and fight the cruise control,so if you get one i would watch that

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
ok, thanks, I've been seriously thinkin about one. The cruise control shouldn't be an issue for me, cause my truck don't got it. Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rukirok