Turbo Spool Up

chief2

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Should I be hearing the turo spool up on my 99 7.3? When I had my 2003 Cummins I would hear it all the time. On the PS I never hear it. Any suggestions?

Wingdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can hear my turbo spool all the time. It is not annoying at all, I actually wish it was louder. My old man 99 makes all kinds of noise when the turbo spools but he has a cab from a SD that had a triton V8 in it so it doesn't have all the sound barriers in it.:D

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Should I be hearing the turo spool up on my 99 7.3?

Must be a late 99. The early ones whine pretty good.

I'm guessing you're seeing boost on your gauge, you should be able to hear a little with your intake setup at 15+.

chief2

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The boost is good, I have plenty, so maybe there is nothing to be concerned about. Thanks.

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
FWIW: If you love turbo sound. What helped my X was Open Air intake AFE StageII, 4" exhaust and a Wicked Wheel. Mine whines all the time it is almost ear piercing loud, I love driving past cars with their windows rolled down and hearing it whine like a Jet Fighter.:sly

dugweed

Loose nut, Ford nut
Reaction score
Mine was like that when it was stock. It got louder with the S&B cold air kit, but what really opened it up was the exhaust.
need to get a wicked wheel on mine, damn compressor surge....
Dug

condon66

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
With a Superchips programmer, 4" exhaust and a PA2818 Baldwin filter on a early '99, mine whistles like a mad bird. Sweet. :thumbs

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
yes my early '99 is loud enough to be annoying at times. very noticable turbo whistle.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rukirok