Help Needed throttle position sensor?

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, been traveling a lot of late and my truck is stuck in the driveway. Fortunately that is where the accelerator peddle stopped making the engine speed up, when I unhooked a trailer.

I ordered a throttle position sensor from Ben at Wabash here:
throttle position sensor, f250 pick-up - 1999-07 super duty - 1999-07 SUPER DUTY
99-04 $68.56 $37.02

But Ben called and said I needed a different unit that included the accelerator assembly, at around $75. I said ok, he sent it and when I got home Friday night the new unit is nothing like my old unit. Different number of pins on the cable, different bolt configuration, etc.

EDIT: 1C3Z*9F836*C 56003 Pedal $77.10

Anyone have a part number and some experience on this, for example is it possible to just replace the sensor? Also, should I be checking anything else beside the TPS as a culprit. I started the truck after fiddling with the sensor just to see if it repaired itself while I was gone :)lmao). Truck starts but no gauge lights. I don't remember that being a problem when it quit in the driveway 3 weeks ago!

Thanks in advance for any ideas or tips.

Last edited:

purplehorn1977

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
you cant just change the sensor as the shaft on the pedal itself is worn and that is usaually the cause for the pedal to go bad in the first place.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Help!!!

Update is that the Throttle Position Sensor (whole assembly incl pedal) is installed and I still got no throttle. It seems I have a problem in addition to, or besides, the TPS! I hope you can help me. :dunno :dunno

I thought maybe it is electrical, since I also do not have any gauge lighting, including wait to start, high beam indicator, and I notice that the headlights work on manual but not in the auto mode. The radio, blower, windows, locks and interior lights work. When I pulled fuse #35 (Instrument cluster) the interior lights went out...so that fuse is good. I also swapped fuse #22 (Engine Control) with #23 (Engine control -- gasoline engine only) with no change. I also swapped Relays 302 and 303 (Powertrain-ECC-relay and IDM relay) no change. The engine runs but I cannot get any throttle response at all.

This happened in the drive while disconnecting a trailer...I drove straight in, reversed, and when I put it into Drive again I had no throttle. The instrument cluster was still lit at that time IIRC, and I think it went out after I pulled the accelerator pedal.

Any ideas of what to try? Thanks!

CKyle494

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about the fuses under the hood? Master fuse panel? I think I have the manual in pdf if you need it. May be the same as '00?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I can't believe this truck isn't throwing a fault code...

purplehorn1977

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
have you checked the grounds to the pcm and also the grounds under the dash also on the tps check to see if you have a ground to it also. i almost 90 % sure you have a ground issue.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JL - There are zero codes thrown according to the scanner I "borrowed" from Autozone

I don't have a pin-out on the tps cable. There are 5 wires and all seem to be quite secure into their pins on the backside of connector. I'm guessing that the 5 wires are ground, power, and 3 potentiometer wires from what I've read.

I've never touched the pcm (not chipped) so don't even know how to check its ground...can you explain?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the ideas. ;tu

I found this on here:
No throttle response, engine idles only, DTC's P0220 or P0221; Vehicle jerks in parking lots, especially manual transmission:
Idle Validation Switch.
The IVS tells the PCM that the accelerator pedal has returned to the idle position. Even if the pedal is fully depressed, if the IVS remains off, the engine will only idle. Watching the IVS and AP data stream, the IVS should switch on below 1.41 volts according to Ford. Navistar spec is 0.2-0.3 volts above base AP voltage. If the PCM sees the Accelerator Pedal sensor voltage increase with out the IVS switching on, it may set a code. The IVS and AP sensor cannot be replaced without replacing the entire pedal assembly. If the IVS switches on at too high of a AP voltage, it can cause the truck to buck at low speeds as the IVS cycles on and off as the driver tries to control his speed. The only way to correct this is to first loosen and turn the AP sensor to reach the lowest possible voltage reading on the scan tool and retighten. Then bend the IVS stop to adjust the on/off point to 0.2-0.3 volts above the base AP voltage reading. Note: There have been cases of lack of throttle response and the above codes which were caused by the PCM not recognizing the IVS "on" signal. Replacing the PCM corrected the problem.

I don't have a code...I replaced IVS with TPS...seems it's either wiring or ??? :dunno:dunno:dunno

Last edited:

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it...ebbnflow posted that his #45 fuse was out...sure enough, that was it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BLUKAS