BayouBoy1856

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I bought a 2012 F-250 Lariat 6.7L truck earlier this year with around 220k miles on it...DEF delete w/EGR by-pass. It's my first diesel and I knew I'd have to do some work on it being a bit used...figured it would be a good way to learn and would save a butt load of money. I made a rookie mistake when test driving it though by not driving it long enough to get it up to temperature...again I'm learning guys. The first time I shut it down on the way home (after getting it up to temperature) I noticed the engine / truck shook a good bit and made a loud noise which I can only describe as the exhaust pipe rattling. It's done it every time since, after the engine gets up to normal operating temperature. So here's what I'd like to know...

(1) What's causing the engine shake? I know some shake is normal especially for EGR deleted trucks...this is noticeable and a bit embarrassing if I'm being honest. The fact that it only does it when it is up to temp led me down the rabbit hole of dieseling. I checked the throttle body / intake and sure enough it was gunked the heck up with an oily cake that I later found was being caused by (A) a clogged-up crankcase vent separator / filter (source of oil blow-by) and (2) EGR soot from before delete. I've since cleaned the entire intake system, replaced the MAP sensor and crankcase separator / filter, upgraded the cold air intake pipe and dosed the engine and fuel system with Sea Foam. Two months later it's still shaking its ass off at shutdown. The only other thing I can think of is maybe the tuning is off? I don't have a clue what they used to delete / bypass the EGR system. It doesn't appear to be chipped. I'm officially stumped.

(2) What's causing the rattle? Again, it sounds like the exhaust pipe. I've checked it from the turbo connection to the tail pipe, tapping it with a hammer and rubber mallet...haven't been able to ID the source yet. The exhaust pipe doesn't appear to be close to any cross members and the clamps appear to be tight at the turbo. Again, officially stumped.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

David

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moose