Periodic heavy white smoke

nogo90gp

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a problem with periodic big puffs of white smoke that seem to come and go. It's not just a little, it looks like a "smoke machine". This has happened about 5 times so i took it to the dealer. Now they are telling me that it's throwing tones of "fishy" codes that point to a tunner or chip. I have never had either, but I've only owned for a little over a year. Can they tell that far back say if the previous owner used them? I'm a little nervous right because my finacial situation has change drastically since i purchased this truck(lost job, singal, full time college student...) and I was only keeping it until i could pay enough of it off to sell it and not come out in the hole

So my questions
1) what is the likely cause of the smoke
2) is there a way that i could diagnose and fix this myself
3)do i have a leg to stand on when it comes to saying it never has been chipped?

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
wish i could help. white smoke that i have had always pointed to the EGR cooler. maybe some others will chime in with more knowledge about your sitiation.

01platinum

Go VOLS
Reaction score
knowing the problems my buddy has had with his 04 6.0 could possibly be head gaskets, especially if someone had a tuner/chip on the truck before you took possesion. is the truck still under warranty?

nogo90gp

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I thought it could be a headgasket issue, but it would seem to me that they would have been blown when i bought last August (if indeed there was a tunner on it). I was doing absolutely nothing out of the ordinary when i first noticed the white smoke.

I blew a headgasket in my old 3/4 gas chevy and the white smoke was constant. I know this is a diesel but wouldn't the smoke be there all the time? All this wouldnt bother me that much, but like i said in my original post they are trying to deny me warranty.

oh yeah up until now it had a clean oasis report if that helps anyone

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what does it smell like, or you only see it when you're going down the road?

Could be an injector goofing up.

nogo90gp

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
It smells like steamy exhaust if that makes sence. Still waiting on a response from the dealership on if they are going to cover it.

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has your "water in fuel" light been on? Maybe your running some "bad" diesel through it. Do you always fuel at the same spot? Just something else to look at, but, probably gonna be the egr cooler...:sorry

GO BIG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better question...
CAn the dealship really tell if the truck has been chipped or programed?
I heard that once the truck is detuned there is no way the dealship can tell. Let me know if this is just false hopes or not.

Late Innings

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
GO BIG, I'm really starting to question the same thing. I know my dealer has told me they can absolutely tell simply by hooking up to their computer if it has ever been chipped or programed. Besides knowing a very high level executive in the parent company of the dealership, my dealer has a relaxed attitude regarding programers or chips although he still tries to discourage the use of them. While I've never chipped or programed my 06, I wonder if they really can tell or is this another "spanking machine" I feared in the 1'st grade of Catholic school.???? (turned out to be a mymiograph(sp) machine, but it took until the 3rd grade to build up the courage to open it and see for myself)

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The dealer that sold me my truck tried that "chipped" BS on me and I told him that this truck has never been chipped or programmed outside of Ford. They backed off after that. I don't know if they can or can not tell if you have ever had your truck chipped. My guess is they can.

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rukirok