Milage

Lynden-Jeff

Landscaper
Reaction score
Hey,

What kind of mileage are you guys seeing? Towing a 5000lb trailer im seeing around 12 miles/GAL or 5 Liters to the KM. Is this normal? Also does idling use quiet a bit of diesel?

Thanks
Jeff

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You are in the ball park as far as MPG (or LPK) goes. Your speed will have a big effect on your mileage. Long idling has two bad effects; it wastes fuel when it is doing no work, and it can cause wet stacking or unburned soot buildup.
Jeff, please fill out your signature so we all will know what you drive. Go to the USER CP above and fill it out.

Dave:)

05oneton

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
When I first bought my truck, the computer said that the average MPG since it had been reset was around 10 and apparently the previous owner towed a boat a lot. Since then (and before I got a programmer), I have been getting an average (not towing) of around 17 if I am good on the highway and 14-15 in town. After I reprogrammed it the computer says I am getting over 19 on the highway.

When I was towing after I reprogrammed it, I think I was getting around 13-14 highway with a similar trailer to what you were towing, maybe a little bit lighter.

Hope that helps.

rathbone

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
When I first bought my truck, the computer said that the average MPG since it had been reset was around 10 and apparently the previous owner towed a boat a lot. Since then (and before I got a programmer), I have been getting an average (not towing) of around 17 if I am good on the highway and 14-15 in town. After I reprogrammed it the computer says I am getting over 19 on the highway.

When I was towing after I reprogrammed it, I think I was getting around 13-14 highway with a similar trailer to what you were towing, maybe a little bit lighter.

Hope that helps.

My 03' gets 15 mpg comp. says towing nothing. What programmer are you running to get 19 mpg? And what stage do you have it on?

05oneton

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am using the Superchips Flashpaq programmer. I just leave it on the "Performance Tow" setting. I think on the website it calls it "Economy", but that is not what the programmer says. I have played with the straight performance setting and it is a kick in the pants! It cost me about 450 and now I am getting at least 2 mpg more. You can check it out here:

Superchips FlashPaq

Also, mine has been sitting at between 17 and 17.5 (computer says that anyway) for a while and that is a bunch of city driving. The computer has actually been off. On the last tank I did with quite a bit of city and rush hour freeway kind of driving I got over 16 and a half

Last edited:

Flopster843

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I average about 23.5 mpg on the highway with cruise set at 70 running Elite's high power tune. Around town I usually have to sit at to many lights to get a good average. Towing around 5k I run the tow-power tune and usually average around 16-17 or so mpg. All these are hand calculated since the overhead computer is way off and not consistent.

05oneton

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I average about 23.5 mpg on the highway with cruise set at 70 running Elite's high power tune. Around town I usually have to sit at to many lights to get a good average. Towing around 5k I run the tow-power tune and usually average around 16-17 or so mpg. All these are hand calculated since the overhead computer is way off and not consistent.

What kind of highway are you driving? My 19mpg came from going over the mountains and and driving in more traffic....so I am just wondering if I might be able to get something a little closer to yours if I am driving flatter.

Edit: Also, I saw that you have 24" wipers. Do those fit on all superdutys?

Scot

;()
Reaction score
You are in the norm. My 03(gone) & 06 both tow or towed 6-8K daily and I never saw less than 10. The norm was 12-14 at whatever speed traffic would allow and standing on it off the line in city traffic.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seems pretty normal to me...when i tow cars on our flat bed trailer
i see about 12-14 (80mph - 68mph) and that was on varying terrain
(between houston & virginia)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rukirok