Question How does the 7.3L compare to 6.0L in maintenance/repairs??

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still contemplating picking up a diesel if the right deal comes around. As far as Fords go, I'm limited to either the 7.3L or 6.0L due to $$$. I'm kind of the DIY guy and try to do as much of my own maintenance and repairs as possible, however, I have no experience with diesels.

My question is, is how easy is it to work on the 7.3L compared to the 6.0L just in general maintenance and repairs (not talking an engine swap, just replacing whatever external parts that might go bad)?

I looked at the engine compartment of a 6.0L the other day, and holy crap!!! Looked like hardly any room to do anything on that engine. Looked like you would have to take off 20 things to get to anything else. Anyway, I haven't really seen the 7.3L up close. Is it similar to the 6.0L or is it much more user friendly for the DIY home mechanic? Thanks for any help...;tu

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It all depends of the years involved. A 7.3 from 1993 is a whole lot easier to work on than, say, a 7.3 from 2003. All of the emissions related stuff is plugging up all of our trucks. Thanks government and the EPA! The 6.0 is harder to work on than the 7.3 of the same year (2003). The usual maintenance stuff is about the same, like oil and filter changes. The best thing you can do when you get your truck is to get the Service Manual from Service Manuals, Owner Manuals, Wiring Diagrams, Service Bulletins - Helm Incorporated they make Ford's manuals and they are great, but not cheap. Good Luck.

Dave

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
7.3 is easier and simpler, more reliable. However they aren't getting any younger either. There is plenty of DIY repair info around for both. If you find a 7.3 with reasonable miles in nice shape, go for it. You also have to be careful, especially with 6.0's that you aren't buying someone's problems. An OASIS report from your dealer can help with that. ;)

on edit: Man Dave, you are too quick :D

majek5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 97 7.3. Im not a mechanic but have done all my mods and maintenance myself...glow plugs, injector o-rings, adrenaline hpop, gpr, fpr shim, gauges, and on it goes. With all the info out there, just follow the directions and pay attention to how it came apart. I have no experience with a 6.0, but if you are mechanically inclined, can't be too hard.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners

You are correct the 6.0 is way more complicated to work on as Bill descirbes in the videos. And imo you will be spending more time under the hood of the 6.0 than that of the 7.3....but I am very biased when it comes to the PSD generations. I can't stand all of this "global warming" junk they have on them. The 7.3 is better for heavy towing and the 6.0 is good for getting around town. The 6.0 turbo spools up faster but the 7.3 will give you the boost you need when pulling on top end. Bill well tell you everything you need to know about these engines. Good luck..........

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It all depends of the years involved. A 7.3 from 1993 is a whole lot easier to work on than, say, a 7.3 from 2003. All of the emissions related stuff is plugging up all of our trucks. Thanks government and the EPA! The 6.0 is harder to work on than the 7.3 of the same year (2003). The usual maintenance stuff is about the same, like oil and filter changes. The best thing you can do when you get your truck is to get the Service Manual from Service Manuals, Owner Manuals, Wiring Diagrams, Service Bulletins - Helm Incorporated they make Ford's manuals and they are great, but not cheap. Good Luck.

Dave

So I was looking at that link to the manuals. Saw one for like $220. So is the Helms manual the same as what the actual Ford technicians use? If so (or even close) $220 would be well worth it IMO. Thanks for the info.

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners

You are correct the 6.0 is way more complicated to work on as Bill descirbes in the videos. And imo you will be spending more time under the hood of the 6.0 than that of the 7.3....but I am very biased when it comes to the PSD generations. I can't stand all of this "global warming" junk they have on them. The 7.3 is better for heavy towing and the 6.0 is good for getting around town. The 6.0 turbo spools up faster but the 7.3 will give you the boost you need when pulling on top end. Bill well tell you everything you need to know about these engines. Good luck..........

Thanks for that link. I haven't watched all of the videos, but it is very interesting stuff.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
So I was looking at that link to the manuals. Saw one for like $220. So is the Helms manual the same as what the actual Ford technicians use? If so (or even close) $220 would be well worth it IMO. Thanks for the info.

Helm Inc. publishes Ford's Manuals. They ARE Ford's Manuals. The DVD is great if you have a good laptop. I just look at the laptop and then print the parts I want for the job. No heavy books to keep.

Dave

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Helm Inc. publishes Ford's Manuals. They ARE Ford's Manuals. The DVD is great if you have a good laptop. I just look at the laptop and then print the parts I want for the job. No heavy books to keep.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I know a friend with a 6.0L that will be very interested in one of those DVD's. So will I if and when I find the right deal on a diesel truck. Thanks.;tu

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally like 6.0's - Maintenance is key on 6.0's, Don't belive all the bad things u hear - a well cared for 6.0 is just as good as a 7.3, Look around there are millions of them and warrenty claims for the later years of the 6L were lower than any other Ford motor. I looked at an 06 extended cab 4x4 the other day and they still get well over $30K for them

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moose