fuel leak

Bobcat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
hey guys just wanted to know if anyone knows how big of a job it is to remove the fuel bowl and pump so i can maybe find my fuel leak. does anyone know how much a fuel pump is if i have to replace it.

Last edited:

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to hazzard a guess to say that the fuel pump is leaking from the weepholes or your drain valve is not sealing correctly.

pumps are just over $100, autozone stocks carter pumps which is OE and they will throw the lifetime warranty in on it too. you just need to swing by your friendly international dealer and pickup some banjo bolt gaskets.

The job itself is not hard if you have patients and don't mind lying on the engine. It took me about 3 hours taking my dear sweet time. you do not need to remove the turbo as is indicated in the FSM unless you have the cali pump with a pulse dampner.

Brief overview of how to do it:

Drain fuel bowl
remove fuel bowl & hoses
remove banjo bolt (12pt box end offset wrench 1 1/8 IIRC)
loosen two bolts holding fuel pump down
look to see that it is lifting up with bolts if not turn engine over by hand to make sure camshaft lifts the fuel pump up so you do not loose the plunger into the engine
remove fuel pump & plunger
apply small dab of grease to new plunger.
install new fuel pump
install banjo bolt
install fuel filter housing & hoses

If you replace the hoses Fuel injection hoses from napa work well and provide the pressure/temp resistance required and are diesel rated.

I've heard that the pump when bought from ford includes the hoses and all needed gaskets.

Bobcat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
can you tell me what a bango bolt is and what the gaskets look like. how much you think the parts are from ford if they come with every thing that i will need.

happeetxn

9/11 Never Forget
Reaction score
To get the fuel bowl off it helps to use a crow's foot, but I can't recall the size needed. Replace your hose clamps while you have it all pulled apart as well. It took me about 6-7 hours the first time I did it, just took my time, laid everything out as I took it off. The hardest part for me seemed to be getting the bolt on the back of the fuel lines on the back side of the pump tight enough at first.
Craig

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
Bowl removal about 1/2 hour first time. No special tools to remove bowl.
The mounting bolts that hold the bowl to the block may be very tight. you may have to use a 1/2 breaker bar to get them broke loose. Be prepared to replace the rubber lines, just pickup about 12-18" of fuel line as you can cut it to match the size of the ones you are replacing.
I just did mine last night. I wanted to inspect the rubber lines after running 100% biodiesel since last october.
The harness that wraps under the bowl comes out with it. Unlpug the IPR and the main plug on the pass. side of the bowl. You can leave the sensors on the drivers side of the bowl connected.
Clean the FPR screen while you have it out.
Replace the short fuel lines while you have it out.
To remove the pickup tube inside the bowl... 7/8" crows foot.
Orf if you are real careful, slip joint pliers but do not recommend it as it is plastic and remember the pickup tube is LEFT HAND THREADS. Once you have the pickup tube out, the fuel heater plate will be loose, reach inside and unplig it and remove. Clean bottom of bowl and inspect real close with bright light for pits.
Oh an when draining the bowl, it makes a mess no way around it..... If on concrete, use pan or several of them and also cardboard. You may have to crack the filter lid to get the bowl to drain.
And dont be surprized by what you may find down in the valley!
Good luck.
Rick H...

Bobcat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ok got my leak fixed today. I tried to shim the fuel pressure i got me a guage and hooked it up it was reading just over 40psi foctory, so i turned the truck off and installed the BB and tried it again this time the fuel pressure dropped to about 25psi does anyone know why or what i did wrong. I pulled the spring all the way out and the little piece it goes in and put the BB down in the that little piece and then put the spring back in and put it all back together.

Bobcat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
maybe not it looks like im going to have to replace the fuel pump now i went back out and let the truck run for a little while and now there is fuel in the valley right under the the fuel pump. Can it be replace with out taking the fuel bowl back out or without removing the turbo. Also how so haw do you get that big nut off the back where the fuel line hook up to it. I have not seen that banjo bolt that they were taking about can someone tell me where it is located.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rukirok