front end grinding...

fullthrottle99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
hey guys. i just bought my new truck and I love it BTW. I've been working pretty hard at trying to get it into sound condition. What I have is a slight metal to metal grinding sound that starts at 25 and increases as I accelerate faster. It's not a major sound, what I mean is it sounds like a bearing or u joint is going out, but not all the way yet. I got it on a lift and replaced the front and rear u joints that connect to the diffs. (not the cv joints) I used a pry bar and checked the front axle u joints and didn't feel any play. (both wheels spin free and there's no play when I wiggle the stearing). I then went to the left side and removed the brakes. Rotors looked good, pads were new. I removed the left hub and it locked fine and spun smooth. If I'm on the highway going around 60 and take a left corner the sound seems to increase. Without any advise my next step was to dissasemble the right as far as I went with the left and if the brakes and hubs looked good I was gonna just replace the axle u joints. If anyone has helpful troubleshooting methods I would REALLY appreciate it. I'm confident I'll find it eventually, but advise from you gurus would make it quicker, and cheaper

oh, the motor and tranny has 90k and the rest of the truck has 180k. I removed rear diff pan and found no metal, then refilled with fresh gear oil. I could tell the ball joints in front were new. I also drove it with the front drive shaft out and the problem still existed...thanks for reading!

CHPMustang

Reaction score
If the noise increases as you turn the steering/increase speed then I'd lean towards a bad front wheel hub bearing/s.

01platinum

Go VOLS
Reaction score
I definetly agree with CHPMustang. if the noise will increase as you turn, that's a good indication that a wheel bearing is in your future. might wanna check into the dynatrac kit( think that's who makes it) you will be money ahead in the long run. especially if your gonna run large tires. good luck

fullthrottle99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
so, are you talking about the bearing in the hub assembly or is there more bearings? I think there is what they call "floating" bearings in the front, meaning they are oiled by the diff. I think this because I was looking in my clymer's for how to grease the wheel bearings and it wasn't in there for 4x4 models. Is there bearings in the part that you press the ball joints into? I can't remember the name of that part...It's the one that your brake caliper bolts onto.:dunno

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
The bearing/hub unit is a sealed non serviceable item unfortunantly. If this is your problem you are going to have to R&R the whole unit.

WIKI Article

Tbar

fullthrottle99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
well, it sounds like its the right hub bearing assembly, that's a bummer that it's a sealed bearing. Sure is bad news to the do-it-yourselfer (me). I'm gonna look into dynatrac. Has anyone got a good deal on these anywhere from any specific suppliers? I still don't know how to look at the sponsors of this site, i'm a newbie, hahaha. Thanks for the tech support!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rukirok