Front Caliper Pin Stuck!

CStone

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have a 2002 7.3L 4X4 DRW flatbed, which has been pulling to the left when the brakes are applied. Diagnosing the problem, I found that one of the caliper slide pins on the passenger side is stuck. I've soaked it in penetrating fluid for 24 hrs and it still won't budge. Lots of pits, rust, etc so I don't have alot of hope that it'll free up.

My question is this: do I need to buy the whole caliper bracket with pins or can I R&R the pin in question? In other words, can a DIY'r R&R the pins and if so, how?

Local Ford stealer quoted me $21.77 for the pin and $70+ for the mount (w/no pins).

HELP!

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
I have been able to heat up the slide and pin with a torch for removal. Are you in harsh environments? Where are you located. Road salt here in Michigan can screw up all the components, but I have always been able to get them out. The pin may be pitted very bad once you get it out and wire wheel it. Make sure to reinstall with synthetic grease. Do both sides.

CStone

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! Think I'll pick up a replacement pin and try the R&R on it tonight.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
once you get the pin out maybe you can clean up the
holes w/ some fine sand paper (wrapped around a dowel) or
MAYBE use a FINE round file...

police stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I had it happen to both l&r front wheels with one pin sticking an the Ford tech was unable to free them up. Ended up buying two caliper brackets and two sets of pins, plus turing the rotors. Note this is after 110k miles with nothing but pad replacements sincce new.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
or you could buy what's called a "loaded" caliper from a Raybestos (Wagner and Bendix have them also) dealer... will also contain friction, or you can get it "friction ready" which is everything (caliper, bridge and hardware) but the pads, then you can install pads of your choice...

and yes, it is a common problem on Fords period..

CStone

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well, did the R&R on the pin. Took a buddy, a rosebud, and an 18" crescent wrench, but we got the old one out. Replaced both pins on that side, complete with new boots and fresh synthetic hi-temp grease.

Took her out for a test drive... still pulls to the left! Grr! I don't feel too bad as the pin needed replacing anyway, but now I'm a little stumped.

Talked to a knowledgeable PS owner/dealer about it and he said that the problem is common but not easy to diagnose. He also said that an ABS distributor/flow splitter (my words, not his) under the truck could have a piece of trash, etc in it which is restricting fluid flow to that caliper. Anyone heard of that? He went on to say that sometimes flushing the brake system will wash out the offending material.

Comments?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
more common is a collapsed line..

don't really see it much on Fords, but it's common on GM vehicles.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NattyGlee22