Question Do '99-'04 CC Powerstrokes come with a solid or 2 pc drive line?

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just curious if the '99 - '04 diesels come with a 2 piece drive line w/ the carrier bearing, or do they come with a solid one piece shaft? I know that my '01 w/ the V10 came with a 2 pc and carrier bearing and caused some issues because I had a small lift on it. I just thought the 1 pc shaft would work better and wondered if the diesels were setup different.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I think the determining factor is the wheel base of the truck. I've heard some say they don't have carrier bearings.

Several years ago when I was at Brian's Truck Shop getting my trans checked over, I talked to Brian at length on several subjects.

Concerning 1 piece driveshafts, he said stay away from them. He told me they like to break tail-shafts off of trannys. :eek:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the determining factor is the wheel base of the truck. I've heard some say they don't have carrier bearings.

Several years ago when I was at Brian's Truck Shop getting my trans checked over, I talked to Brian at length on several subjects.

Concerning 1 piece driveshafts, he said stay away from them. He told me they like to break tail-shafts off of trannys. :eek:

I think your right TG.. Wheel base is the key.

The machine shop guy that has done all my drive shaft work thru the years told me, what Brian told you.

On the X & Crew cabs.. If they had a One Piece drive shaft, due to the length, with terrain and torque inputs.. the flexing causes U=joints & Yokes to fail and break.

Makes sence to me.

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Driveshafts

A drive shaft can only be so long before it needs a hanger bearing. It depends on the diameter of the shaft and the torque output of the engine, alot of variables to ponder.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
it's easier to correct driveline angles with the 2 piece shaft, as half of your problem has corrected itself with the split joint

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced my carrier bearing for the second time in just over a year. Does anyone know of a better aftermarket one?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moose