Question Coolant question on the 7.3L??

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again, I'm a newbie to diesels and I'm looking at doing a coolant flush on my 7.3L. I'm hearing different things about what coolant/additives to use. I called a couple of local shops and they said you just add 2 bottles of this DCA additive to regular coolant. Does this sound correct? I just want to make sure that I do it right. Thanks!!

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, its dca-4 or dca-2
4 used molybdates with nitrate to get to the level. dca-2 just uses nitrates. Thats what napa sells(2) Either is fine. Just get test strips to test nitrate levels. The test strips need to match the additive. Get them at the same place.
The regular coolant, however, should be old school green, but have low silicate formula.
Food lion grocery stores have it.
The atsm-6*** code on it means its a truck/diesel coolant(low silicate)
the atsm 4*** is car stuff. The silicates in this tend to drop off and form a sludge.
get old school green from a diesel place, tractor place. Maybe napa has it( they should)
its not that complicated. Just seems it.
If you have a international place near you go there. But i tell you if you have food lions near you they have low silicate.
www.kensperformancesolutions. com has the test strips and additive. its the dca-4

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, its dca-4 or dca-2
4 used molybdates with nitrate to get to the level. dca-2 just uses nitrates. Thats what napa sells(2) Either is fine. Just get test strips to test nitrate levels. The test strips need to match the additive. Get them at the same place.
The regular coolant, however, should be old school green, but have low silicate formula.
Food lion grocery stores have it.
The atsm-6*** code on it means its a truck/diesel coolant(low silicate)
the atsm 4*** is car stuff. The silicates in this tend to drop off and form a sludge.
get old school green from a diesel place, tractor place. Maybe napa has it( they should)
its not that complicated. Just seems it.
If you have a international place near you go there. But i tell you if you have food lions near you they have low silicate.
www.kensperformancesolutions. com has the test strips and additive. its the dca-4

Thanks for the info. Are you still supposed to have a 50/50 water and coolant mixture, or does that not hold true with diesels? How many gallons of coolant do I need (water as well if used)? How much of the DCA? I don't have any of those stores here. I do have Napa that I can check.

Last edited:

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i usually do a little stronger then 50 50 but thats ok. Test the coolant for the freezing point too.
check napa, then repost if they dont have it. Get an extra pack of 4 test strips. That way you can test it extra to play. YOu will understand after you get them and try it.
dont mix coolant colors.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moose