CCV mod?

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A while back I was taking off my intake down to the turbo (checking it out for my WW install) and I noticed a vent with a lot of soot around it. I scraped it out and put the intake back on.

Later readin around about different mods I realized the ccv mod was the fix for this. I've seen this mod before but didn't really understand it untill I seen what ppl was talking about. Just got some questions on hiw/why this is done. I know it to keep the engines resperitory system clean, but why do ppl run the tube all the way to the back of the truck? Whats the best and safest (read one forum that had a "Warning" about it) to do this mod? Thanks

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some folks re-route the CCV vapors to the rear area, to keep the vapors & smoke from exiting/being under the the Cab area.. They Stink (Big Time) and... the vapors will condense, and drip.. leaving spots wherever you park.

dpantazis

Reaction score
routing it to the open air is just like dumping oil out onto the ground and into the creeks and streams that you drink the water from. think long and hard about polluting your environment.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
routing it to the open air is just like dumping oil out onto the ground and into the creeks and streams that you drink the water from. think long and hard about polluting your environment.

X2 dp ;tu

I waz guna go there.. but didn't.

Thanx ;tu

Rammer ? If yer guna improve on yer OE CCV.. You might think about a Better set-up, one captures the condensed oil... and returns it to the CC..... rather than dumping it.. They're out there.

Last edited:

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Well it wouldn't be hard to run it into a bowl or something like an air line humidity condenser. I can think of more dicusting things we eat that the Health Dept. allows in our foods than oil, but I understand where yall are coming from. I wouldn't want it dripping just for the fact it doesn't look good when something is dripping from a truck. So there's no certain way to run it..along as it going down and not dripping oil? How do ya'll have yalls ran?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
along as it going down and not dripping oil? How do ya'll have yalls ran?

I installed a Racor 3550 set up. It mimics the OEM CCV concept, but condenses the oil from the vapors via a replaceable filter*.. the oil then drains back into the VC.. instead of going thru the turbo, collecting on the I/C boots, charge tubes and I/C itself.

Works Very Well.

* I mod'd the Racor filter media cartridge concept by fabricating 12, homemade, cleanable~reusable, filter disks.. to avoid having to replace the WAAYY overpriced (IMO) Racor filter.

Last edited:

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CCV Mod

Try this. CCV Mod

I talked to NCHornet (I guess the designer of it). Obviously he will be a little bias to it, but it sounded like a good option.

dpantazis

Reaction score
If you run the hose over the hydro boost unit, you will not have those nasty oil drips on the driveway. ;tu

speeder-

i respectfully disagree with that statement. i luv ya man, i do really. but that is not correcting the problem.

by creating an open crank case vent, you are venting the oily vapors to the atmosphere. the oil still gets released. whether or not you 'see' it is another matter.

iirc, Navistar's 'acceptable' oil consumption for the 7.3's is 1 qt per thousand.

granted each truck uses oil ad different rates. some don;t consume any oil at all. some do. who knows.

lets propose that 1/12 of that goes out an open CCV, and 1000 miles per month, that is 1 quart of oil you are dumping onto the ground, into the water, into the air.

that is enough oil to pollute 250,000 gallons of water. let me repeat that number, 1/4 MILLION gallons of water.

would you WILLINGLY pour a quart of oil in the street drain? we have not even consider the chain reaction of soil pollution by the tainted water, the effect on the food chain, etc..

i chose that number to make the math easy. but pick any other fraction and see what the result is. its a LOT of water no matter how you look at it.

google "used motor oil pollution" and read for yourselves.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moose