Carrier driveshaft spacers?

Rem870xj

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm about to commit to buying some 37" tires for my truck, i was wanting to know how big of a deal is it to lift 6" or so and not get drive line vibs. I realize your supposed to use shims on the carrier bearing to get the alignment right. sould i be able to take care of the vibs for highways speeds ? have any of you guys had trouble with vibs after a 6" or so lift? thanks

01platinum

Go VOLS
Reaction score
I'm running 8 inch lift with 38's and I just kept adding shims till the vib went away. I think you'll only notice it at takeoff, not so much at speed.(more like a shudder) most quality kits come with the shims and recommended procedure for installation.

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
I've got an 8 inch also, and no vibrations at hwy speeds, but I do get a vobration for a second or two under heavy acceleration from a dead stop. If you want to completely eliminat any and all vibrations, your best bet is to get a one piece drive shaft made.

Reaction score
Yep you wont have highway speed vibration but you'll get a shimmy taking off. Just keep adding shims till it goes away.

Diesel

Cetane Addict
Reaction score
I've got an 8 inch also, and no vibrations at hwy speeds, but I do get a vobration for a second or two under heavy acceleration from a dead stop. If you want to completely eliminat any and all vibrations, your best bet is to get a one piece drive shaft made.

Yes a one piece is best but adding full rear springs and the fabtech trac bars really takes care of it.

Rule of thumb for carrier bearing drop is a 1/4 inch for every 1 inch of lift in the rear. If you put a 6" lift on your truck then the rear should be lifted 4" so you would use 1" worth of spacers. Not 100% but it is a starting point.

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
Yes a one piece is best but adding full rear springs and the fabtech trac bars really takes care of it.

Rule of thumb for carrier bearing drop is a 1/4 inch for every 1 inch of lift in the rear. If you put a 6" lift on your truck then the rear should be lifted 4" so you would use 1" worth of spacers. Not 100% but it is a starting point.

I've got the Fabtech traction bars, and it still vibrates, however it's not as bad as without the bars, I have tried countless spacer setups on the carrier bearing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rukirok