Question Can I swap my V10 for a diesel??????

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you're set on the psd, then you might be best on trading your truck in for one. A powerstroke with around 150,000 is a low mile truck and would be a good investment. Try looking for one that hasn't been lifted so much that all you could do is play with the thing. Also, try finding one that hasn't been chipped.

x2

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
V10 Swap to a Diesel

Thanks for the input so far. I'm getting torn on the whole switch to a diesel, at least at this point. Some friends tell me to keep my 72,000 mile V10 and run the heck out of it as it will do everything I need it to. It has a small lift on it w/ 35's and my computer says my mpg are between 10-11 mpg (I'm not sure how accurate that is due to the lift and tires). Others say to go with the diesel now. My concern is the cost and the cost of repairs if I end up with a lemon.

For you guys saying to go with the Cummins, why is that? I have no brand preference, but why the Cummins? If the Cummins is a better motor, should I just go buy a Dodge truck? What would a Cummins swap possibly cost? Thanks

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't buy a dodge - half ass built ****house - The reason the cummins swap is recomended is because of its simplicity, there isn't much electrical (old 12V motor) and u can buy just about whatever u need from DeStroked. I wouldn't worry about getting a lemon if u do ur homework before u buy. Repair wise diesels can be more expensive to fix depending on what needs fixing but in general are more reliable than gas motors because they are built with better and stronger parts. Plus they have a better resale value. You would get better mileage especially towing. Its up to u...

Last edited:

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious on the diesel repair side, what typical things will go out on a diesel and what do they cost to replace? For instance, something like a turbo. What does it cost? I don't know much about diesels, but I'm mechanically inclined. So I will try and do most of my own repairs if possible.

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel Conversions

So I've been researching those Cummins conversion links. So roughly $3000+ for the adaptor kits (and that still doesn't include the motor). I'm still researching more into that.

So what about just dropping a 7.3 L into it. Would there be much cost into adapting that motor into my current setup? I think my transimission is the same as the 7.3L diesel, but do I need a new torque converter or something to compensate for the diesel?

I'm just debating on running my V10 till it dies or till I just can't stand the gas mileage while towing, and then putting a diesel in then (however long that might be?

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If u were going to put a 7.3 in it u would almost have to find a parts truck so u could take all the wiring harness and computers out, and i think u also need to change the speedo head too. I think the tranny's are different but i'll check on the computer at work on mon. I still think u are better off finding a used diesel truck. I wouldn't tear up a low mileage truck that runs good.

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question on the '99 Super Duty's

If u were going to put a 7.3 in it u would almost have to find a parts truck so u could take all the wiring harness and computers out, and i think u also need to change the speedo head too. I think the tranny's are different but i'll check on the computer at work on mon. I still think u are better off finding a used diesel truck. I wouldn't tear up a low mileage truck that runs good.

Thanks for the input. I'm still combing the classifieds looking for the right deal.

I do have one question pertaining to the '99 Super Duty's. I read somewhere where they did some improvements in the middle of the '99 year. I can't find what those improvements are anymore. Can somebody direct me to what changes they made, and is there really that big of a difference? I've found some deals on some 99's but I'm wondering if the changes are worth staying away from a '99 and keeping with at least a 2000 or newer? Thanks....

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious on the diesel repair side, what typical things will go out on a diesel and what do they cost to replace? For instance, something like a turbo. What does it cost? I don't know much about diesels, but I'm mechanically inclined. So I will try and do most of my own repairs if possible.

Replaced my turbo about 8 months ago. Bought it new from the dealer and had a guy with his on shop for about $1400. But that was my fault for it going out. I have a 96 psd with 570,000mi that has an untouched engine. Just depends on how the truck has been treated. For all you know, you could be putting be an abused engine in your truck....unless you plan on putting a rebuilt engine. Your buest bet would be buying a used truck or trading yours in for one.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score

I second that.
Use the V10 for the toy and scrounge up an OBS truck for a hauler...

aklim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the time you buy the motor and pay for the install, flush the tank and run the lines necessary and that is just to name a few, I think you would be further ahead selling what you have and buying what you want. That is, unless you have a donor truck and time doesn't mean a thing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NattyGlee22