5th Wheel and Lift Kits

u0104940

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to this forum but recently bought my 3rd SuperDuty today. It's an F350 4X4 Crew Cab. My question is in regards to putting a lift kit on. What are my limitations of how high I can go when I intend to go purchase a new 5th wheel trailer? Am I forced to stick with a 2" leveling lift or maybe squeeze in a 4" lift. 2nd question is, are there 5th wheel models that allow more lift on the vehicle? Thanks for any input and look forward to using this forum, maybe even contibuting some helpful info if I can. Happy New Year all.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tall trucks...

Well; I just went through what you are talking about. Even with a stock F350 4x4 camper option, the bed rails are at 58.5 inches from the ground. Most of the 5th wheels that I found would not work on my truck from the factory. They needed to have the axles placed under the springs to make it close. Even at that , some of the Keystone and Prowler products were to low. To reverse the axles, the dealer wanted $1,500. The 5th wheel that I found was a Wildcat made by Forest River, that would fit our truck without modification. If I were you, I would first find the 5th wheel that you liked and then see what it is going to take to make it fit your truck. Then you would know how much if any lift you can do to your truck. Remember the taller you go, the less fuel mileage you will get. Wind drag. Other options are raise the truck and purchase a travel trailer, or overhead camper. I thought about all the options and chose the 5th wheel. Then I found the Wildcat 29rlbs, which is a great value for the money.
Good luck
Maxtor

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Lift kits and 5th wheel campers generally don't go well together. There is usually some height adjustment available on both the trailer side of the hitch system and the hitch in the truck bed. But getting the rig to ride level isn't the only thing to consider, you have to have adequate clearance between the top of the truck bed and the bottom of the RV also. Generally when our service dept sets-up a truck/5er RV combo, they shoot for about 5" clearance between the truck bed and camper when making hitch height adjustmants.

When you start adding lift kits to your truck, you're just complicating the problem.

u0104940

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Maxtor and TG, this really helps me out so I can save myself from any headaches down the road. I will def. be checking out the Wildcat Maxtor, hopefully it's available in an open end model(toybox). Have a good New Year and keep on truckin.

firesoutmatt

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
44" is what they recomend for the pin height. This is a starting point that most dealers use. The hitch and pin box are adjustable but when you raise the truck you will loose the bed rail clearance. :GRD

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NattyGlee22