'01 Lifted F-350 Having Problems at Higher Speeds

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lift issue

hugeredford said:
i did an eight inch on my truck and didn't have any driveshaft problems i think you problem may elseware

I would tend to agree with you, however, everything appears to have started after the lift. I will have to check and make sure everything is tight. Maybe it is a bad wheel or tire? I remember one of the guys who supposedly balanced the driveshaft said that it was a little out of round, but should be ok. I really don't trust anything that they did at this point. I can't see having a problem with a 4-5 inch lift either. Like I said, my friend has a larger lift with 37's and hasn't complained.

I have talked to some people about converting a 2 piece shaft into 1, but I was getting a lot of different opinions. Some would say it was ok, but I had a lot that said it wasn't good. Especially for a 4x4, since they said it would need to have a little bit of give in it. I don't know at this point. Has anyone out there converted theirs to a one piece, and what do you think? Have you had any problems with it when 4 wheeling? Is there any lift or driveline mechanics out there that can give me more details?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have been 4 wheeling for about 40 years now and I have never had a problem with a single piece drive shaft. You can beat them against the rocks no matter what type of shaft you have. Common sense works best here.

Dave

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dreveshaft

The few people that I talked to said that converting from a 2 piece driveshaft to a 1 piece was fine up to a certain point. They said they didn't recommend it after a certain number of inches (which I can't remember the amount at this time). But I remember I was going to be pretty close to that length limit since my truck is the crew cab. Thanks for everybody's feedback so far. Any more ideas or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!!

woofer700

Diesel is cool
Reaction score
we lifted our jeep and vibs started at low speeds, pinion angle was off like 4 or 5 degs. I really don't remember which way pinion angle relates to vibs, but I do remember that that one way or the other, high pinion angle, or low pinion, will give high speed vibs, although with such a long wheel base on your truck, pinion angle should not be effected enough, but it's worth checking, also check the splines on your drive shaft.

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lift issues

I've been doing a little more research online and I came across some information where people were having a lot of the same issues as I'm having. So I've already contacted a shop, and I'm going to have them check out all of my driveline angles, and for any other possible lift issues. Depending on how all that checks out, however, I'm leaning on converting over to the single driveshaft. One of the websites I read had a guy who had the same truck as me and did the conversion. He raved about the results. It just so happens the same shops who did the work are local to me as well, and I've already talked to them. So hopefully this will be the end to my Superduty problem. Thanks to everyone for their feedback.:thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moose